all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* font for dired mode?
@ 2005-04-21 23:07 David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2005-04-21 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm trying to set a different font for the dired mode. I would like to
make everything appear in "fontset-monaco12". I've tried setting the
faces (like dired-header), but that didn't work at all.

Then I've tried this:

(add-hook 'dired-mode-hook	      (lambda () (set-frame-font
"fontset-monaco12")))

but the result was only that the buffer from which i called dired was
displayed in monaco, but not the newly opened frame for dired. It's
like the hook is called from the wrong context, with a different frame
being the selected frame.

So I don't know what to do -- anyone have an idea?
Many thanks!

* Re: font for dired mode?
@ 2005-04-21 23:29 ` Joe Corneli
From: Joe Corneli @ 2005-04-21 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

   Hi,

   I'm trying to set a different font for the dired mode. I would like to
   make everything appear in "fontset-monaco12". I've tried setting the
   faces (like dired-header), but that didn't work at all.

Hm... Did you customize the faces, or just mess around with them by
hand?  You should be able to type M-x customize-face with point on a
string exhibiting the face you'd like to change, then change it, then
have your life be improved.  Otherwise, I would suggest M-x doctor (or
M-x report-emacs-bug if you feel you need to talk to a human about
things).

* Re: font for dired mode?
@ 2005-04-22  6:29 David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2005-04-22  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joe Corneli <jcorneli <at> math.utexas.edu> writes:

  >    I'm trying to set a different font for the dired mode. I would
like to
 >    make everything appear in "fontset-monaco12". I've tried setting
the
 >    faces (like dired-header), but that didn't work at all.
 >
 > Hm... Did you customize the faces, or just mess around with them by
 > hand?  You should be able to type M-x customize-face

I can customize a whole bunch of dired-* faces, and when I deselect
some "inherit"
flag, the faces a even used in the buffer. However, and that is still
my main problem,
I can't find the face for meta  information for a file except for the
file name.
Everything that's marked in [ ] here:

[-rw-r--r--    1 dr  admin    16716 19 Apr 11:09 ] ansi-color.elc

This still appears in the proportional default face.

* Re: font for dired mode?
@ 2005-04-22  9:23 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-04-22  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Am 22.04.2005 um 01:07 schrieb David Reitter:

> Then I've tried this:
>
> (add-hook 'dired-mode-hook	      (lambda () (set-frame-font
> "fontset-monaco12")))

Hello!

Have you tried M-x customize-group RET dired RET? This will show a few
dired-faces without settings special fonts or fontsets for the items.
If you set them then they'll be fixed to these values ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

To be is to do.
                        -- I. Kant
To do is to be.
                        -- A. Sartre
Yabba-dabba-doo!
                        -- F. Flintstone

* Re: font for dired mode?
@ 2005-04-22  9:33   ` David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2005-04-22  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

On 22 Apr 2005, at 10:23, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Have you tried M-x customize-group RET dired RET? This will show a few
> dired-faces without settings special fonts or fontsets for the items.
> If you set them then they'll be fixed to these values ...

Thanks, yes I've tried that but the problem remains that only the
filenames (rightmost column) get "fontified" --> bad layout if the
other columns are set in a proportional font.

-D

* Re: font for dired mode?
@ 2005-04-22 13:57 ` Joe Corneli
From: Joe Corneli @ 2005-04-22 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

   Everything that's marked in [ ] here:

   [-rw-r--r--    1 dr  admin    16716 19 Apr 11:09 ] ansi-color.elc

   This still appears in the proportional default face.

That's because it is the proportional default face.  If you want to
the way these characters look, either change the definition of the
default face, or change the fontlocking code in dired to use a
different face!  Maybe that should be your bug report / feature
request... cause I don't think you can change the default face on a
buffer-by-buffer or mode-by-mode basis, because AFAIK, faces resolve
at the frame level.

* Re: font for dired mode?
@ 2005-04-22 16:04 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-04-22 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Reitter wrote:
 > I'm trying to set a different font for the dired mode. I would like to
 > make everything appear in "fontset-monaco12". I've tried setting the
 > faces (like dired-header), but that didn't work at all.
 >
 > Then I've tried this:
 >
 > (add-hook 'dired-mode-hook
 >           (lambda () (set-frame-font "fontset-monaco12")))
 >
 > but the result was only that the buffer from which i called dired was
 > displayed in monaco, but not the newly opened frame for dired. It's like
 > the hook is called from the wrong context, with a different frame being
 > the selected frame.

Why is the Dired buffer opened in a new frame?  Is it because you're
using `C-x 5 d', or is some other customization coming into play
(e.g. special-display-buffer-names)?

Your problem is probably that the Dired buffer is created and the mode
hook is run, before the buffer is displayed -- in particular, before the
new frame is created.  I wonder whether this approach will work:

(defvar dired-other-frame-alist nil)

(defadvice dired-other-frame (around frame-alist activate)
   (let ((default-frame-alist (append dired-other-frame-alist
                                      default-frame-alist)))
     ad-do-it))

(setq dired-other-frame-alist
       '((font . "fontset-monaco12")))

Or maybe just:

(add-hook 'after-make-frame-functions
           (lambda (frame)
             ;; do we need to first select the FRAME?
             (when (eq major-mode 'dired)

@ 2005-04-24  7:53 David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2005-04-24  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Kevin,

problem solved!

> Why is the Dired buffer opened in a new frame?  Is it because you're
> using `C-x 5 d', or is some other customization coming into play
> (e.g. special-display-buffer-names)?

Yes, some other customizations are used; it's an option the user has.

> (defvar dired-other-frame-alist nil)
>
> (defadvice dired-other-frame (around frame-alist activate)

Doesn't work for me, I suspect dired-other-frame is not used.

> (add-hook 'after-make-frame-functions

This is getting closer! The working code is:

  (add-hook  'after-make-frame-functions
           (lambda (frame)
	    (select-frame frame)
             (when (eq major-mode 'dired-mode)
               (set-frame-font "fontset-monaco12"))))

Many thanks for setting me on the right track

-- David