On 2/7/2024 12:22 PM, Stefan Kangas wrote: > Eli Zaretskii writes: > >> But then subdivision into sections has other problems. For example, >> who says that 'ls' is only "for directories", ln, mv, and rm are only >> "for files", and info is "for searching"? A person can reasonably >> think about these (and others) differently. And why "basename" is not >> about files? > > FWIW, I tend to agree with Eli: having all built-in commands on one page > also provides some benefit, especially to power users (the likely > audience for eshell) that are already familiar with a standard Unix > shell and just wants to know "what's different about Eshell" or "what > does Eshell provide". Ok, no problem. It just seemed a bit hard to navigate to me, but I don't have any issues with keeping all the commands together. > However, I agree that the section is a bit long and unwieldy. To make > it shorter, how about moving the section "Defining new built-in > commands" to some other part of the manual instead? For example some > chapter that talks about "Extending Eshell" or similar. > > Just my two cents. How about the attached patch instead? It just moves the list of commands to a sub-node, and also makes the "defining new built-ins" a proper sub-node too. That should keep things a bit easier to navigate, and then we can add more indexing as needed later.