all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* [Help] Emacs does not launch as normal user.
@ 2020-11-17 13:24 MysteriousSilver via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: MysteriousSilver via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2020-11-17 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Emacs displays an error message and closes when I launch it from terminal. I'm running Arch GNU/Linux and have installed emacs from the official pacman repository. Is this a normal thing and if no, how do I fix it? ('sudo emacs' runs fine)

Error Message: https://termbin.com/7pwf

Thanks in advance.

* Re: [Help] Emacs does not launch as normal user.
@ 2020-11-17 16:47 ` Leo Butler
From: Leo Butler @ 2020-11-17 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: MysteriousSilver via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
  Cc: MysteriousSilver

<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> Emacs displays an error message and closes when I launch it from
> terminal. I'm running Arch GNU/Linux and have installed emacs from the
> official pacman repository. Is this a normal thing and if no, how do I
> fix it? ('sudo emacs' runs fine)
>
> Error Message: https://termbin.com/7pwf
>
> Thanks in advance.

That is a standard way to run emacs. What happens when you do

emacs -nw

in the terminal?

Also, if you start emacs like so:

strace emacs 2> emacs.trace

that will give a better idea of what is going wrong.

Leo

* Re: [Help] Emacs does not launch as normal user.
@ 2020-11-18  4:15   ` MysteriousSilver
From: MysteriousSilver @ 2020-11-18  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Butler; +Cc: MysteriousSilver via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

> That is a standard way to run emacs. What happens when you do
> emacs -nw
> in the terminal?

Emacs runs fine in the terminal.

> Also, if you start emacs like so:
> strace emacs 2> emacs.trace
> that will give a better idea of what is going wrong.

emacs.trace file: https://termbin.com/0u7a .

* Re: [Help] Emacs does not launch as normal user.
@ 2020-11-18 16:59     ` Leo Butler
From: Leo Butler @ 2020-11-18 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: MysteriousSilver
  Cc: MysteriousSilver via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

MysteriousSilver <mysterioussilver@protonmail.com> writes:

> Caution: This message was sent from outside the University of Manitoba.
>
>> That is a standard way to run emacs. What happens when you do
>> emacs -nw
>> in the terminal?
>
> Emacs runs fine in the terminal.
>
>> Also, if you start emacs like so:
>> strace emacs 2> emacs.trace
>> that will give a better idea of what is going wrong.
>
> emacs.trace file: https://termbin.com/0u7a .

Begining on line , you have the following:

access("/usr/share/fonts/WindowsFonts/SourceCode/SourceCodePro-Medium.ttf", R_OK) = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
--- SIGSEGV {si_signo=SIGSEGV, si_code=SEGV_MAPERR, si_addr=0x88} ---
rt_sigaction(SIGSEGV, {sa_handler=SIG_DFL, sa_mask=[SEGV], sa_flags=SA_RESTORER|SA_RESTART, sa_restorer=0x7f6f866636a0}, {sa_handler=0x56274dd59dc0, sa_mask=~[KILL STOP RTMIN RT_1], sa_flags=SA_RESTORER|SA_ONSTACK|SA_SIGINFO, sa_restorer=0x7f6f869d40f0}, 8) = 0

To me, that looks like the permissions on that .ttf are wrong, and emacs
is not handling the problem gracefully. So, I would start by looking at
the permissions on that file.

Leo

* Re: [Help] Emacs does not launch as normal user.
@ 2020-11-18 17:00     ` Leo Butler
From: Leo Butler @ 2020-11-18 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: MysteriousSilver
  Cc: MysteriousSilver via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

MysteriousSilver <mysterioussilver@protonmail.com> writes:

> Caution: This message was sent from outside the University of Manitoba.
>
>> That is a standard way to run emacs. What happens when you do
>> emacs -nw
>> in the terminal?
>
> Emacs runs fine in the terminal.
>
>> Also, if you start emacs like so:
>> strace emacs 2> emacs.trace
>> that will give a better idea of what is going wrong.
>
> emacs.trace file: https://termbin.com/0u7a .

I meant to write: beginning on line 4782.

Leo

* Re: [Help] Emacs does not launch as normal user.
@ 2020-11-19  5:37       ` MysteriousSilver
From: MysteriousSilver @ 2020-11-19  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Butler; +Cc: MysteriousSilver via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

> Begining on line , you have the following:
>
> access("/usr/share/fonts/WindowsFonts/SourceCode/SourceCodePro-Medium.ttf", R_OK) = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
> --- SIGSEGV {si_signo=SIGSEGV, si_code=SEGV_MAPERR, si_addr=0x88} --- rt_sigaction(SIGSEGV, {sa_handler=SIG_DFL, sa_mask=[SEGV], sa_flags=SA_RESTORER|SA_RESTART, sa_restorer=0x7f6f866636a0}, {sa_handler=0x56274dd59dc0, sa_mask=~[KILL STOP RTMIN RT_1], sa_flags=SA_RESTORER|SA_ONSTACK|SA_SIGINFO, sa_restorer=0x7f6f869d40f0}, 8) = 0
>
> To me, that looks like the permissions on that .ttf are wrong, > and emacs
> is not handling the problem gracefully. So, I would start by looking at
> the permissions on that file.

Thanks for replying, deleting that SourceCode folder in fixed it and emacs launches now.

But the toolbar looks different when running 'sudo emacs' and 'emacs'. Screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/8KONgvT.png ('sudo emacs' is the right window). Any idea how to fix this?

emacs.trace file: https://termbin.com/sm18

* Re: [Help] Emacs does not launch as normal user.
@ 2020-11-19 19:28         ` Leo Butler
From: Leo Butler @ 2020-11-19 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: MysteriousSilver
  Cc: MysteriousSilver via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

MysteriousSilver <mysterioussilver@protonmail.com> writes:

> Caution: This message was sent from outside the University of Manitoba.
>
>> Begining on line , you have the following:
>>
>> access("/usr/share/fonts/WindowsFonts/SourceCode/SourceCodePro-Medium.ttf", R_OK) = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
>> --- SIGSEGV {si_signo=SIGSEGV, si_code=SEGV_MAPERR, si_addr=0x88}
>> --- rt_sigaction(SIGSEGV, {sa_handler=SIG_DFL, sa_mask=[SEGV],
>> sa_flags=SA_RESTORER|SA_RESTART, sa_restorer=0x7f6f866636a0},
>> {sa_handler=0x56274dd59dc0, sa_mask=~[KILL STOP RTMIN RT_1],
>> sa_flags=SA_RESTORER|SA_ONSTACK|SA_SIGINFO,
>> sa_restorer=0x7f6f869d40f0}, 8) = 0
>>
>> To me, that looks like the permissions on that .ttf are wrong, > and emacs
>> is not handling the problem gracefully. So, I would start by looking at
>> the permissions on that file.
>
> Thanks for replying, deleting that SourceCode folder in fixed it and emacs launches now.
>

> But the toolbar looks different when running 'sudo emacs' and
> 'emacs'. Screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/8KONgvT.png ('sudo emacs' is
> the right window). Any idea how to fix this?
>

> emacs.trace file: https://termbin.com/sm18

I recommended fixing the permissions on that directory.

Looking at the trace file and your screenshots, I think that you still
have a bunch of permissions problems which is causing emacs not to be
able to load a lot of stuff, including icons.

I am not familiar with Arch Linux (I use debian), so you may be better
off at this point to ask on the Arch lists/fora for help sorting this
out.

Leo