all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Emacs on Android, someone please give this developer some help
       [not found] ` <874noc5evq.fsf@hfph.mwn.de>
@ 2012-08-09 22:15   ` General Schvantzkoph
       [not found]   ` <mailman.6668.1344569977.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: General Schvantzkoph @ 2012-08-09 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 16:17:13 +0200, Andreas Goesele wrote:

> General Schvantzkoph <schvantzkoph@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> For some reason there has been no Emacs on Android which is a glaring
>> deficiency in the platform, even the Palm Pre had an Emacs port.
>> Finally someone in Poland has started a project but it looks like he's
>> not very experienced. I tried it on my Nexus 7 and it seg faults when
>> you try and start it. He's just trying to do an Emacs in a terminal
>> emulator which is fine, Emacs was written for terminals in the first
>> place (I've been using it since ITS Emacs came out on the Dec System 20
>> at the end of the 1970s).
>>
>> If there are any Emacs developers reading this please give this guy
>> some help if you can. I'm sure I'm not the only Emacs user who is
>> desperate for an Emacs on Android.
>>
>> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zielm.emacs
>>
>> https://github.com/zielmicha/emacs-android
>
> Emacs on Android would indeed be great, especially if it included the
> diary and calendar!
>
> But gnu.emacs.help seems to be a much more active group where this call
> also would be relevant - so I allow myself to cross-post, hoping to give
> your call a bigger audience.
>
> Andreas

BTW it works a little better than my initial post indicated. It's
sensitive to font size, it works for small fonts and seg faults on larger
fonts (> 10 on the Nexus 7, >6 on the Galaxy Nexus). It's a good start.

@ 2012-08-10  3:39   ` MBR
       [not found]   ` <mailman.6668.1344569977.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: MBR @ 2012-08-10  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Goesele; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Much though I'd like to be able to run Emacs on my Android phone, I'm
having difficulty imagining how input could possibly work.  Emacs is
heavily dependent on "chord" keystrokes. It's hard enough to type
anything at all on the standard Android virtual keyboard, and that
doesn't have ALT, CTRL, or SHIFT modifier keys.  Would an Android Emacs
include its own virtual keyboard?  And even if it did, how do you type a
chord on a touchscreen with keys that small?

    Mark

@ 2012-08-10 12:02     ` Rémi Letot
From: Rémi Letot @ 2012-08-10 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: MBR; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Andreas Goesele

MBR <mbr@arlsoft.com> writes:

> Much though I'd like to be able to run Emacs on my Android phone, I'm
> having difficulty imagining how input could possibly work.  Emacs is
> heavily dependent on "chord" keystrokes. It's hard enough to type
> anything at all on the standard Android virtual keyboard, and that
> doesn't have ALT, CTRL, or SHIFT modifier keys.  Would an Android
> Emacs include its own virtual keyboard?  And even if it did, how do
> you type a chord on a touchscreen with keys that small?
>
>    Mark

There are android devices much larger than a phone, some with a physical
keyboard (the asus transformers line to name some), and even most phones
and tablets can be enhanced with physical keyboards.

So yes emacs is definitely relevant on android. I was actually
experimenting until now with a debian chroot, which is cumbersome to use
and quite heavyweight when all I want most of the times are gnus and
org-mode :-)

HTH,
--
Rémi

* RE: Emacs on Android, someone please give this developer some help
@ 2012-08-10 13:17     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2012-08-10 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'MBR', 'Andreas Goesele'; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Much though I'd like to be able to run Emacs on my Android phone,
> I'm having difficulty imagining how input could possibly work.
> Emacs is heavily dependent on "chord" keystrokes. It's hard
> enough to type anything at all on the standard Android virtual
> keyboard, and that doesn't have ALT, CTRL, or SHIFT modifier keys.
> Would an Android Emacs include its own virtual keyboard?
> And even if it did, how do you type a chord on a touchscreen with
> keys that small?

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Icicles_-_Key_Completion#ThreeKeyEmacs

* Re: Emacs on Android, someone please give this developer some help
       [not found]     ` <87zk6250zv.fsf@hfph.mwn.de>
@ 2012-08-10 13:57       ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2012-08-10 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Andreas Goesele" <goesele@hfph.mwn.de> writes:

> Terminal IDE comes with a touch-screen keyboard which includes almost
> all keys you might need. (It's ASCII though.) It works well, altough
> it's keys are indeed small.

I personally use Hacker's keyboard:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.pocketworkstation.pckeyboard&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsIm9yZy5wb2NrZXR3b3Jrc3RhdGlvbi5wY2tleWJvYXJkIl0.

It works well on a tablet, but I can certainly see that it is not usable
on a phone.

Anyway, I would love to see Emacs on Android.

Charles

--
But what can you do with it?  -- ubiquitous cry from Linux-user partner.
(Submitted by Andy Pearce, ajp@hpopd.pwd.hp.com)

* Re: Emacs on Android, someone please give this developer some help
@ 2012-08-12 11:25     ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2012-08-12 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

MBR <mbr@arlsoft.com> writes:

> Much though I'd like to be able to run Emacs on my Android phone, I'm having
> difficulty imagining how input could possibly work.  Emacs is heavily dependent
> on "chord" keystrokes. It's hard enough to type anything at all on the standard
> Android virtual keyboard, and that doesn't have ALT, CTRL, or SHIFT modifier
> keys.  Would an Android Emacs include its own virtual keyboard?  And even if it
> did, how do you type a chord on a touchscreen with keys that small?

You can install the "Hacker's Keyboard" which has all Modifier Keys
easily available. I use it on my Xoom when I ssh into an Emacs session
on a remote machine. This keyboard is available in the "Android
Playstore" and gives a genuine Emacs feeling.

Sven