all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs doesn't see the most recent version of Company Mode hosted on Elpa
@ 2017-05-17 19:47 egarrulo
From: egarrulo @ 2017-05-17 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have tried `package-refresh-contents', then `package-list-packages'
again, but `company' version 0.9.3 doesn't show up, even when it is
listed on the Elpa website.  I have the version 0.8.2 installed.

I am running Emacs 25.1.1.  Thanks for your help.

* Re: Emacs doesn't see the most recent version of Company Mode hosted on Elpa
@ 2017-05-17 20:18 ` egarrulo
From: egarrulo @ 2017-05-17 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

The problem does not appear with `emacs -Q', though, that correctly sees
version 0.9.3.  What could be going wrong?

* Re: Emacs doesn't see the most recent version of Company Mode hosted on Elpa
@ 2017-05-17 20:27   ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2017-05-17 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egarrulo, help-gnu-emacs

On 17.05.2017 23:18, egarrulo wrote:
> The problem does not appear with `emacs -Q', though, that correctly sees
> version 0.9.3.  What could be going wrong?

Did you change the value of `package-archives' somewhere?

* Re: Emacs doesn't see the most recent version of Company Mode hosted on Elpa
@ 2017-05-17 22:46     ` egarrulo
From: egarrulo @ 2017-05-17 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Gutov, help-gnu-emacs

On 17/05/17 22:27, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> On 17.05.2017 23:18, egarrulo wrote:
>> The problem does not appear with `emacs -Q', though, that correctly
>> sees version 0.9.3.  What could be going wrong?
>
> Did you change the value of `package-archives' somewhere?

Yes, but the same code works as expected in `emacs -Q', as long as I
start with an empty `package-user-dir' directory:

(defvar package-enable-at-startup nil)
(require 'package)
(add-to-list 'package-archives '("melpa-stable" .
"http://stable.melpa.org/packages/"))
(add-to-list 'package-archives '("org" . "http://orgmode.org/elpa/") t)
(setq package-user-dir (expand-file-name "~/elpa/"))
(package-initialize)

My installation in "~/elpa/" could be corrupted.  By the way, even if
Emacs doesn't list the last Company version, it correctly identifies the
currently installed version as obsolete.

* Re: Emacs doesn't see the most recent version of Company Mode hosted on Elpa
@ 2017-05-18 17:58 ` egarrulo
From: egarrulo @ 2017-05-18 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 17/05/17 21:47, egarrulo wrote:
> I have tried `package-refresh-contents', then `package-list-packages'
> again, but `company' version 0.9.3 doesn't show up, even when it is
> listed on the Elpa website.  I have the version 0.8.2 installed.
>
> I am running Emacs 25.1.1.  Thanks for your help.

I have this in my .emacs:

(defvar package-enable-at-startup nil)
(require 'package)
(add-to-list 'package-archives '("melpa-stable" .
"http://stable.melpa.org/packages/"))
(add-to-list 'package-archives '("org" . "http://orgmode.org/elpa/") t)
(setq package-user-dir (expand-file-name "~/elpa/"))
(package-initialize)

This code works as expected in `emacs -Q', *as long as* I start with an
empty `package-user-dir' directory.  My installation in "~/elpa/" must
be corrupted.  As a side note, even when Emacs doesn't list the last

@ 2017-05-18 19:14       ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2017-05-18 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egarrulo, Dmitry Gutov, help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 1:21 AM <egarrulo@gmail.com> wrote:

> (defvar package-enable-at-startup nil)
> (require 'package)
> (add-to-list 'package-archives '("melpa-stable" .
> "http://stable.melpa.org/packages/"))
> (add-to-list 'package-archives '("org" . "http://orgmode.org/elpa/") t)
> (setq package-user-dir (expand-file-name "~/elpa/"))
> (package-initialize)

You need to setq the package-user-dir *before* calling (require 'package).
Otherwise emacs will first create the elpa/ dir at the default location at
the time of requiring.

In addition, simply delete the archives/ dir inside package-user-dir; emacs
will just rebuild that from scratch without complaining.

Then finally restart emacs and then see if the issue gets resolved.
--

Kaushal Modi

* Re: Emacs doesn't see the most recent version of Company Mode hosted on Elpa
@ 2017-05-18 20:28         ` egarrulo
From: egarrulo @ 2017-05-18 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaushal Modi, Dmitry Gutov, help-gnu-emacs

On 18/05/17 21:14, Kaushal Modi wrote:
> On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 1:21 AM <egarrulo@gmail.com
> <mailto:egarrulo@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     (defvar package-enable-at-startup nil)
>     (require 'package)
>     (add-to-list 'package-archives '("melpa-stable" .
>     "http://stable.melpa.org/packages/"))
>     (add-to-list 'package-archives '("org" . "http://orgmode.org/elpa/") t)
>     (setq package-user-dir (expand-file-name "~/elpa/"))
>     (package-initialize)
>

> You need to setq the package-user-dir *before* calling (require
> 'package).  Otherwise emacs will first create the elpa/ dir at the
> default location at the time of requiring.
>
> In addition, simply delete the archives/ dir inside package-user-dir;
> emacs will just rebuild that from scratch without complaining.
>
> Then finally restart emacs and then see if the issue gets resolved.

Unfortunately your solution does not work, but thanks for your help.

I think that I will look for ways to rebuild the package directory from
scratch.