On 4/10/19 6:12 AM, Andy Moreton wrote: > this breaks out-of-tree builds, as make tries to use > /path/to/emacs/admin/charsets/Makefile rather than the correct path > /admin/charsets/Makefile: Sorry, my tests didn't include a complete out-of-tree bootstrap. I installed the attached patch to fix that problem, along with the problem's other instance. The other -C changes should be OK. You're correct that some of the -C changes were unrelated to the original patch. Still, they make the Makefile more consistent and I'd like to keep the ones that work. PS. I'd like Emacs to switch to a nonrecursive 'make' process, as this subsidiary $(MAKE) -C business is for the birds. We've made the switch for other GNU projects and it's been a win. This is not a new idea; see: Miller P. Recursive Make considered harmful. AAUGN J of AUUG. 1998;19(1):14-25. https://grosskurth.ca/bib/1997/miller.pdf