all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* increase scrollbar width
@ 2015-12-16 14:53 Ulrich Hiller
From: Ulrich Hiller @ 2015-12-16 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dear list members,

i have possibly a newbie question: I want to increase the size of the
vertical scroll bar. Therefor is the frame parameter scroll-bar-width.
So i set in ~/.emacs:
(setq-default scroll-bar-width 50)

What i get is a 50 pt wide scrollbar frame, but the scrollbar itself
remains at the default value.
How can i increase the with of the scrollbar itself?

Many thanks in advance, ulrich

* RE: increase scrollbar width
@ 2015-12-16 16:58 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2015-12-16 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Hiller, help-gnu-emacs

> i have possibly a newbie question: I want to increase the size of the
> vertical scroll bar. Therefor is the frame parameter scroll-bar-width.
> So i set in ~/.emacs: (setq-default scroll-bar-width 50)
>
> What i get is a 50 pt wide scrollbar frame, but the scrollbar itself
> remains at the default value.
> How can i increase the with of the scrollbar itself?

Not sure what you mean by the scrollbar frame.

Doing (setq-default scroll-bar-width 50) works for me (on MS Windows) -
it gives me a scroll bar that has a width of 50.

Scroll bars depend on your platform, and whether Emacs was built
to use a toolkit (and which toolkit).  You might want to file a
bug (`M-x report-emacs-bug'), but it's possible that nothing can
be done about this on your platform etc.

* Re: increase scrollbar width
       [not found] <mailman.21.1450284569.843.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2015-12-16 23:25 ` Javier
From: Javier @ 2015-12-16 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Which toolkit and OS are you using?  It's in the variable system-configuration-options.

C-h v system-configuration-options

If it is a recent linux distro you are likely using gtk3.  My advice
is to try the lucid toolkit.  You should have a package emacs-lucid or
emacs24-lucid in your distro.

In lucid by default scrollbars are on the left.  Just use
(menu-bar-right-scroll-bar) if you want them on the right.

Otherwise, with GTK you can try luck customizing the GTK theme.