all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to compile a portable emacs for Linux?
@ 2012-09-11  2:44 Z C
From: Z C @ 2012-09-11  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

If you compile the emacs source code using default way (that is
"./configure && make && make install"), once it has been compiled, the
program path can no longer be changed. (i.e. if you move the program and
all its data to another directory, it won't run)

But I have specific need: I need to run emacs on multiple computers and the
path is not a constant. So how can I build a portable version of emacs?

For instance, I want to put the program and all its data in a folder named
emacs, and this folder may have different path on different computers:
/media/disk/emacs or /home/xxx/emacs or ...., and I want to make it run on
those computers.

* Re: How to compile a portable emacs for Linux?
       [not found] <mailman.8568.1347333397.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2012-09-11  3:44 ` Jason Rumney
       [not found]   ` <mailman.8576.1347346364.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jason Rumney @ 2012-09-11  3:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu.emacs.help; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tuesday, 11 September 2012 10:44:26 UTC+8, Z C  wrote:

> But I have specific need: I need to run emacs on multiple computers and the path is not a constant. So how can I build a portable version of emacs?
>
> For instance, I want to put the program and all its data in a folder named emacs, and this folder may have different path on different computers: /media/disk/emacs or /home/xxx/emacs or ...., and I want to make it run on those computers.

Don't make install. Just copy the results of make (.o and .c files can be omitted if you are short on space).  If Emacs finds it is not installed in the configured path, it will assume that it is running uninstalled, and will look for files relative to its location in the src directory.

* Re: How to compile a portable emacs for Linux?
@ 2012-09-11  6:52   ` Suvayu Ali
       [not found]   ` <mailman.8576.1347346364.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2012-09-11  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 08:44:37PM -0700, Jason Rumney wrote:
> On Tuesday, 11 September 2012 10:44:26 UTC+8, Z C  wrote:
>
> > But I have specific need: I need to run emacs on multiple computers
> > and the path is not a constant. So how can I build a portable
> > version of emacs?
> >
> > For instance, I want to put the program and all its data in a folder
> > named emacs, and this folder may have different path on different
> > computers: /media/disk/emacs or /home/xxx/emacs or ...., and I want
> > to make it run on those computers.
>
> Don't make install. Just copy the results of make (.o and .c files can
> be omitted if you are short on space).  If Emacs finds it is not
> installed in the configured path, it will assume that it is running
> uninstalled, and will look for files relative to its location in the
> src directory.

I do not think that will work; what about linked libraries?  It will
work only when the linked libraries are at the same location on the
different systems, at least that is what I recall when I wanted
something like this myself a few years back.

--
Suvayu

@ 2012-09-11  7:28     ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2012-09-11  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 08:44:37PM -0700, Jason Rumney wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 11 September 2012 10:44:26 UTC+8, Z C  wrote:
>>
>> > But I have specific need: I need to run emacs on multiple computers
>> > and the path is not a constant. So how can I build a portable
>> > version of emacs?
>> >
>> > For instance, I want to put the program and all its data in a folder
>> > named emacs, and this folder may have different path on different
>> > computers: /media/disk/emacs or /home/xxx/emacs or ...., and I want
>> > to make it run on those computers.
>>
>> Don't make install. Just copy the results of make (.o and .c files can
>> be omitted if you are short on space).  If Emacs finds it is not
>> installed in the configured path, it will assume that it is running
>> uninstalled, and will look for files relative to its location in the
>> src directory.
>>

> I do not think that will work; what about linked libraries?  It will
> work only when the linked libraries are at the same location on the
> different systems, at least that is what I recall when I wanted
> something like this myself a few years back.

You can copy the linked libraries you need and use LD_LIBRARY_PATH to
tell emacs where they are.

* Re: How to compile a portable emacs for Linux?
@ 2012-09-11 11:25       ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2012-09-11 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 09:28:13AM +0200, Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
> Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 08:44:37PM -0700, Jason Rumney wrote:
> >>
> >> Don't make install. Just copy the results of make (.o and .c files can
> >> be omitted if you are short on space).  If Emacs finds it is not
> >> installed in the configured path, it will assume that it is running
> >> uninstalled, and will look for files relative to its location in the
> >> src directory.
> >>

> > I do not think that will work; what about linked libraries?  It will
> > work only when the linked libraries are at the same location on the
> > different systems, at least that is what I recall when I wanted
> > something like this myself a few years back.
>
> You can copy the linked libraries you need and use LD_LIBRARY_PATH to
> tell emacs where they are.

I did not think of this!  Thanks a lot, if I need it again I'll try
this.

--
Suvayu