all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Unbinding nxml-mode
@ 2012-05-21 10:12 Peter Flynn
From: Peter Flynn @ 2012-05-21 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

The version of Emacs (23.3.1) shipped with Ubuntu 12.04 prematurely
binds xml-mode to nxml-mode, so all my .emacs settings for xml-mode
are ignored (psgml, xxml, etc). I don't know enough emacs-lisp to know
where this has been done, or how to undo it. How can I make Emacs go
back to honoring my .emacs file and stop it invoking nxml-mode
(permanently)?

* Re: Unbinding nxml-mode
@ 2012-05-21 16:30 ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2012-05-21 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org List

Am 21.05.2012 12:12, schrieb Peter Flynn:
> The version of Emacs (23.3.1) shipped with Ubuntu 12.04 prematurely
> binds xml-mode to nxml-mode, so all my .emacs settings for xml-mode
> are ignored (psgml, xxml, etc). I don't know enough emacs-lisp to know
> where this has been done, or how to undo it. How can I make Emacs go
> back to honoring my .emacs file and stop it invoking nxml-mode
> (permanently)?

AFAIU the list holding the values is called auto-mode-alist

constructed as pairs of suffix-and-mode-to-invoke

look into, which suffixes trigger nxml-mode

to insert for every suffix at stake the new one write into your init:

(push '("\\.MY_ENDING$" . xml-mode ) auto-mode-alist)

maybe it's needed still to remove the old entries.

HTH,

Andreas

* Re: Unbinding nxml-mode
@ 2012-05-22  8:58 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2012-05-22  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Monday, 21 May 2012 18:12:55 UTC+8, Peter Flynn  wrote:
> The version of Emacs (23.3.1) shipped with Ubuntu 12.04 prematurely
> binds xml-mode to nxml-mode, so all my .emacs settings for xml-mode
> are ignored (psgml, xxml, etc). I don't know enough emacs-lisp to know
> where this has been done, or how to undo it. How can I make Emacs go
> back to honoring my .emacs file and stop it invoking nxml-mode
> (permanently)?

xml-mode has always been an alias.  In earlier versions, it was an alias for sgml-mode. In current versions, it is an alias for nxml-mode.

If you were previously overriding xml-mode to point to psgml or xxml, then the same should work for nxml.  Without seeing exactly what your .emacs is doing, it is difficult to tell what is causing you problems.

* Re: Unbinding nxml-mode
@ 2012-05-22  9:41 ` Mihamina Rakotomandimby
From: Mihamina Rakotomandimby @ 2012-05-22  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 05/21/2012 01:12 PM, Peter Flynn wrote:
> How can I make Emacs go
> back to honoring my .emacs file and stop it invoking nxml-mode
> (permanently)?

I dont make an advanced use of the *ml-modes, but I manually
M-x sgml-mode each time I open an XML file...

--
RMA.