On 2016-11-03 14:35, Tassilo Horn wrote: > I guess Clement is actually reporting an AUCTeX bug and accidentally > used `report-emacs-bug' instead of `TeX-submit-bug-report'. Spot on :) Sorry for the mistake! > (2) there's no hook-like thing that would be run whenever some specific > variable is modified due to file-local or directory-local variables, > no? There is one :) hack-local-variables-hook is a variable defined in ‘files.el’. Its value is nil This variable may be risky if used as a file-local variable. Documentation: Normal hook run after processing a file’s local variables specs. Major modes can use this to examine user-specified local variables in order to initialize other data structure based on them. > So I guess the right way to make Clément's use-case work was to > provide functions for modifying those variables that can be run from > an eval: local variables block and then refresh the fontification if > needed, right? I think installing a hack-local-variable hook would be the way to go :) Cheers and thanks for the quick answer! Clément.