all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Ido only shows one file in directory
@ 2011-03-12 19:32 MarkS.
       [not found] ` <mailman.7.1299960196.9013.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: MarkS. @ 2011-03-12 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm sure this is something obvious, but the documentation doesn't
mention it.

I'm trying to see a listing of files in a directory using IDO where
there are several .org and .txt files. But IDO only shows me ONE of
the files. I have to switch off IDO and view it with dired to see
what's really there.

It must have something to do with history, but I can't imagine what.
I've deleted the ido files in my home directory and restarted EMACS.
Still no joy. In other directories, I can see all the files with IDO,
so I don't know what's so special about this one.

What do I have to do to get IDO to show everything?

Thanks!
Mark

GNU Emacs 23.2.1 on Win XP

* RE: Ido only shows one file in directory
@ 2011-03-12 20:03 ` Drew Adams
       [not found] ` <mailman.7.1299960196.9013.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2011-03-12 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'MarkS.', help-gnu-emacs

> I'm trying to see a listing of files in a directory using IDO where
> there are several .org and .txt files. But IDO only shows me ONE of
> the files. I have to switch off IDO and view it with dired to see
> what's really there.
>
> It must have something to do with history, but I can't imagine what.
> I've deleted the ido files in my home directory and restarted EMACS.
> Still no joy. In other directories, I can see all the files with IDO,
> so I don't know what's so special about this one.
>
> What do I have to do to get IDO to show everything?

An Ido user can probably help more (I don't use it), but looking quickly in
ido.el I don't see anything special regarding .org or .txt files.

What happens when you turn off ido-mode and use regular file-name completion
(`C-x C-f ... TAB')?  Do you see .org and .txt files as candidates?  If so, then
yes, it is Ido-specific.

If not, then perhaps something has changed `completion-ignored-extensions' so
that it includes ".org" and ".txt".  Check: `C-h v

@ 2011-03-12 21:41   ` MarkS.
From: MarkS. @ 2011-03-12 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 12, 12:03 pm, "Drew Adams" <drew.ad...@oracle.com> wrote:

Hi Drew

When I turn off ido-mode, I can see all the files in the directory.
The one file that ido shows me has the same extension (org) as 2 of
the files in the same directory. So its not filtering by extension. I
thought maybe I had set on a "one file only" filter ... if there was
such a thing.

Thanks,
Mark

@ 2011-03-12 22:53     ` MarkS.
From: MarkS. @ 2011-03-12 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Well, I destroyed the ido settings file AND its backup, and that seems
to have reset things. It appears that IDO cached an early version of
the directory. The thing is, there ought to be a way to force IDO to
update its listing.

Thanks,
Mark

@ 2011-03-14 14:29       ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2011-03-14 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: MarkS.; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

2011/3/12 MarkS. <throaway@yahoo.com>:
> Well, I destroyed the ido settings file AND its backup, and that seems
> to have reset things. It appears that IDO cached an early version of
> the directory. The thing is, there ought to be a way to force IDO to
> update its listing.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

Maybe M-x ido-wash-history is what you're looking for.

--
Deniz Dogan