Yes, I am now really confused. Looks like I missed the booting out of the whitespace.el that I wrote. I did see that the whitespace-buffer was behaving differently, but chalked it up to me being tired late at night. So, I guess, at this point, someone else is responsible for fixing this. rv On Feb 7, 2008 1:03 AM, Miles Bader wrote: > Glenn Morris writes: > >> That's good. However, I'm unable to reproduce it on the installed emacs > >> in fencepost. > > > > In case you're confused, the whitespace.el in question is not the one > > you wrote (as far as I can tell). Someone recently renamed that one to > > old-whitespace.el and installed a new one, which seems like a recipe > > for exactly this kind of confusion. This "whitespace.el" is only in > > the Emacs CVS trunk (I think). > > I gather that Richard wanted the new functionality to use the > "whitespace" name, which makes some sense, but it seems seems to have > been done rather clumsily in some cases. E.g. the new > "whitespace-buffer" command seems completely different than the old > "whitespace-buffer" command, and really there seems no good reason for > it. [It's more or less a mode, but isn't called "...-mode", doesn't > follow emacs mode conventions well, e.g., it doesn't togglex, and > there's _also_ "whitespace-mode" which offers different, but related, > functionality...] > > -miles > > -- > My books focus on timeless truths. -- Donald Knuth >