all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Installing epa in Windows
@ 2012-11-16  3:15 tcsmfgenml
From: tcsmfgenml @ 2012-11-16  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am trying to encrypt files with emacs on a Windows machine, so I am trying to install the epa package. I downloaded the package from sourceforge.jp/projects/epg/releases. I downloaded and uncompressed epg-0.0.16.tar.gz, but I cannot figure out how to install it. All of the instructions seem to be for linux (but it comes installed in the linux version). (I know the best solution but my wife and daughter want to run Windows on this system.)

Can anyone give me some pointers on installing this package on a Windows machine?

Thanks,
             -- Tom

* Re: Installing epa in Windows
@ 2012-11-16  5:08 ` Jambunathan K
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-11-16  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tcsmfgenml; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

tcsmfgenml@hotmail.com writes:

> I am trying to encrypt files with emacs on a Windows machine, so I am
> trying to install the epa package. I downloaded the package from
> sourceforge.jp/projects/epg/releases. I downloaded and uncompressed
> epg-0.0.16.tar.gz, but I cannot figure out how to install it. All of
> the instructions seem to be for linux (but it comes installed in the
> linux version). (I know the best solution but my wife and daughter
> want to run Windows on this system.)
>
> Can anyone give me some pointers on installing this package on a Windows machine?

Have you tried

    http://gnupg.org/

specifically GPG4Win pointed from the above link

    http://www.gpg4win.org/

@ 2012-11-16  5:10   ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-11-16  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tcsmfgenml; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> tcsmfgenml@hotmail.com writes:
>
>> I am trying to encrypt files with emacs on a Windows machine, so I am
>> trying to install the epa package. I downloaded the package from
>> sourceforge.jp/projects/epg/releases. I downloaded and uncompressed
>> epg-0.0.16.tar.gz, but I cannot figure out how to install it. All of
>> the instructions seem to be for linux (but it comes installed in the
>> linux version). (I know the best solution but my wife and daughter
>> want to run Windows on this system.)
>>
>> Can anyone give me some pointers on installing this package on a Windows machine?
>
> Have you tried
>
>     http://gnupg.org/
>
> specifically GPG4Win pointed from the above link
>
>     http://www.gpg4win.org/

You can also install Cygwin and then install the needed Linux packages
as required.

>> Thanks,
>>              -- Tom

* Re: Installing epa in Windows
@ 2012-11-16 16:05 ` chunhui
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: chunhui @ 2012-11-16 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I use gnupg, and it works ok.
the .emacs is:

;; Using symmetric encryption always
(setq epa-file-encrypt-to nil)
;; save the password
(setq epa-file-cache-passphrase-for-symmetric-encryption t)
;; auto-save
(setq epa-file-inhibit-auto-save nil)
(setq epg-gpg-program "/usr/local/bin/gpg")

* Re: Installing epa in Windows
@ 2012-11-16 16:20 ` chunhui
From: chunhui @ 2012-11-16 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tcsmfgenml; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I use gnupg, and it works ok.
the .emacs is:

;; Using symmetric encryption always
(setq epa-file-encrypt-to nil)
;; save the password
(setq epa-file-cache-passphrase-for-symmetric-encryption t)
;; auto-save
(setq epa-file-inhibit-auto-save nil)
(setq epg-gpg-program "PATH/gpg")

* Re: Installing epa in Windows
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-11-19 14:43 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-11-19 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I am trying to encrypt files with emacs on a Windows machine, so I am trying
> to install the epa package.

The EPA package is included in Emacs, so you don't need to install it.
What you're probably lacking is the actual encryption software (EPA is
only a library to interface Emacs with some external encryption
software).
I.e. you probably want to install GnuPG.

* Re: Installing epa in Windows
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-11-19 22:37 ` tcsmfgenml
From: tcsmfgenml @ 2012-11-19 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks for your help, Stefan and others. With your help I got it working but it doesn't work the way I hoped.

I was trying to create a password manager that didn't store the unencrypted password to disk (which is never erased when deleted), but gpg saves the original file as #filename.gpg#. I have a perl script that creates a random string from a list of characters. It runs fine inside of emacs but then gpg saves it to disk.

I know emacs uses it for encryption but I wish they used a buffer instead.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
               -- Tom