all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Cant type unicode in emacs any more
@ 2014-04-29 11:22 Rusi
       [not found] ` <mailman.261.1398775319.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Rusi @ 2014-04-29 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

For some time now I have this in my X startup programs:
$ setxkbmap -option compose:menu

After this I can type (in mostly any window) for example:
(with MN being the windows-menu key)
MN.. gives ...  ie an ellipses
MN--. gives - ie an en dash
MN--- gives -- ie an em dash
Not to mention all the e" giving ë
etc etc - all the unicode goodies at
/usr/share/X11/locale/$LANG/Compose

Now suddenly its stopped working.
ie it works in most other X apps but not in emacs

I thought there may be a race-condition between the setxkb and emacs
which are both in my startup programs.
So I ran the setxkb command by hand from a shell and (re)started emacs
from the shell

No luck:
The compose works outside emacs
Doesn't work inside