all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* global-auto-composition-mode, emacs-basic-display, and CANNOT_DUMP
@ 2006-08-28  0:08 Adrian Robert
From: Adrian Robert @ 2006-08-28  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

In the file composite.el, the value of autloaded variable
'global-auto-composition-mode' is given initial value

(not (or noninteractive emacs-basic-display))

emacs-basic-display is defined in startup.el, while the autoload goes
into loaddefs.el

However, as defined in loadup.el, loaddefs.el gets loaded first.

When emacs is dumping, 'noninteractive' is true and the 'or' in the
code above short-circuits.  But in CANNOT_DUMP situation,
emacs-basic-display is checked in loaddefs before it has been defined
in startup (loaded later), causing an abort.

I realize runs of emacs with CANNOT_DUMP must be rare these days, but
if it is still supported some fix should be made.  Maybe define
emacs-basic-display somewhere earlier, I'm not sure?

* Re: global-auto-composition-mode, emacs-basic-display, and CANNOT_DUMP
@ 2006-10-23  6:30 ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2006-10-23  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

I've just found that I have not yet replied to this.

In article <a192fb1818e22e60917dcabc36193a43@cogsci.ucsd.edu>, Adrian Robert <arobert@cogsci.ucsd.edu> writes:

> In the file composite.el, the value of autloaded variable
> 'global-auto-composition-mode' is given initial value

> (not (or noninteractive emacs-basic-display))

> emacs-basic-display is defined in startup.el, while the autoload goes
> into loaddefs.el

> However, as defined in loadup.el, loaddefs.el gets loaded first.

> When emacs is dumping, 'noninteractive' is true and the 'or' in the
> code above short-circuits.  But in CANNOT_DUMP situation,
> emacs-basic-display is checked in loaddefs before it has been defined
> in startup (loaded later), causing an abort.

> I realize runs of emacs with CANNOT_DUMP must be rare these days, but
> if it is still supported some fix should be made.  Maybe define
> emacs-basic-display somewhere earlier, I'm not sure?

First of all, I'm not sure it is the right thing that
global-auto-composition-mode depends on emacs-basic-display
or not.  As composition is mandatory for several
languages/scripts, I've just install a change that makes
global-auto-composition-mode not depend on
emacs-basic-display.

For those who don't know what we are talking here, this is
relevant only to emacs-unicode-2 branch.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org