all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* 23.1; Emacs daemon gets killed by emacsclient -c
@ 2009-08-04  8:59 Fabian Ezequiel Gallina
From: Fabian Ezequiel Gallina @ 2009-08-04  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

My Emacs daemon gets killed after using emacsclient -c for third
time.

I really don't know how to give a better traceback for this. Any
recommendations are appreciated.

Here is how I reproduce the bug:

[fgallina@cuca ~]$ emacs --daemon -Q
("emacs" "-Q")
Starting Emacs daemon.
[fgallina@cuca ~]$ emacsclient -t
[fgallina@cuca ~]$ emacsclient -t
[fgallina@cuca ~]$ emacsclient -t
[fgallina@cuca ~]$ emacsclient -t
[fgallina@cuca ~]$ emacsclient -t
[fgallina@cuca ~]$
[fgallina@cuca ~]$ emacsclient -c
Waiting for Emacs...
[fgallina@cuca ~]$ emacsclient -c
Waiting for Emacs...
[fgallina@cuca ~]$ emacsclient -c
Waiting for Emacs...
[fgallina@cuca ~]$ ps axu | grep -i emacs
fgallina  4236  0.0  0.0  91080   888 pts/1    S+   05:37   0:00 grep -i emacs

The third time I use emacsclient -c, after the "Waiting for Emacs
message" is displayed,
nothing happens. So I checked and the Emacs daemon process was
not running anymore.

The funny thing is that emacsclient -t works flawlessly. I'm only
having this problem when I run emacsclient -c.

I'm running Emacs 23.1 on Fedora 11.

Thanks,
Fabián E. Gallina.

* Re: 23.1; Emacs daemon gets killed by emacsclient -c
@ 2009-08-04 15:30 ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2009-08-04 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Fabian Ezequiel Gallina; +Cc: emacs-devel

2009/8/4 Fabian Ezequiel Gallina <galli.87@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> My Emacs daemon gets killed after using emacsclient -c for third
> time.
>
> I really don't know how to give a better traceback for this. Any
> recommendations are appreciated.
>
> Here is how I reproduce the bug:
>

> [fgallina@cuca ~]$ emacs --daemon -Q
> ("emacs" "-Q")
> Starting Emacs daemon.
> [fgallina@cuca ~]$ emacsclient -t
> [fgallina@cuca ~]$ emacsclient -t
> [fgallina@cuca ~]$ emacsclient -t
> [fgallina@cuca ~]$ emacsclient -t
> [fgallina@cuca ~]$ emacsclient -t
> [fgallina@cuca ~]$
> [fgallina@cuca ~]$ emacsclient -c
> Waiting for Emacs...
> [fgallina@cuca ~]$ emacsclient -c
> Waiting for Emacs...
> [fgallina@cuca ~]$ emacsclient -c
> Waiting for Emacs...
> [fgallina@cuca ~]$ ps axu | grep -i emacs
> fgallina  4236  0.0  0.0  91080   888 pts/1    S+   05:37   0:00 grep -i emacs
>

> The third time I use emacsclient -c, after the "Waiting for Emacs
> message" is displayed,
> nothing happens. So I checked and the Emacs daemon process was
> not running anymore.
>
> The funny thing is that emacsclient -t works flawlessly. I'm only
> having this problem when I run emacsclient -c.
>

> I'm running Emacs 23.1 on Fedora 11.
>

> Thanks,
> Fabián E. Gallina.

FWIW, I was unable to reproduce this behavior. I tried opening a bunch
of Emacs clients, both with -t and -c, without anything strange
happening.

--
Deniz Dogan

* Re: 23.1; Emacs daemon gets killed by emacsclient -c
@ 2009-08-04 17:05   ` Fabian Ezequiel Gallina
From: Fabian Ezequiel Gallina @ 2009-08-04 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Deniz Dogan; +Cc: emacs-devel

2009/8/4 Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com>:

> FWIW, I was unable to reproduce this behavior. I tried opening a bunch
> of Emacs clients, both with -t and -c, without anything strange
> happening.

If I don't close the frames, then it works. The problem happens if I
actually do this:

[fgallina@cuca ~]$ emacsclient -c
Waiting for Emacs...

# Close the frame with C-x 5 0

[fgallina@cuca ~]$ emacsclient -c
Waiting for Emacs...

# Close the frame with C-x 5 0

[fgallina@cuca ~]$ emacsclient -c
Waiting for Emacs...

# The Frame does not opens because Emacs daemon was killed.

I can reproduce this every time, and always happens on the third attempt.

Thanks,
Fabián E. Gallina

* Re: 23.1; Emacs daemon gets killed by emacsclient -c
@ 2009-08-04 17:07     ` Deniz Dogan
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2009-08-04 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Fabian Ezequiel Gallina; +Cc: emacs-devel

2009/8/4 Fabian Ezequiel Gallina <galli.87@gmail.com>:
> 2009/8/4 Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com>:
>>
>> FWIW, I was unable to reproduce this behavior. I tried opening a bunch
>> of Emacs clients, both with -t and -c, without anything strange
>> happening.
>>

> If I don't close the frames, then it works. The problem happens if I
> actually do this:
>
> [fgallina@cuca ~]$ emacsclient -c
> Waiting for Emacs...
>
> # Close the frame with C-x 5 0
>
> [fgallina@cuca ~]$ emacsclient -c
> Waiting for Emacs...
>
> # Close the frame with C-x 5 0
>
> [fgallina@cuca ~]$ emacsclient -c
> Waiting for Emacs...
>
> # The Frame does not opens because Emacs daemon was killed.
>
> I can reproduce this every time, and always happens on the third attempt.
>

> Thanks,
> Fabián E. Gallina

Still no luck reproducing it on my system.

--
Deniz Dogan

* Re: 23.1; Emacs daemon gets killed by emacsclient -c
@ 2009-08-04 18:09 ` Daniel Clemente
From: Daniel Clemente @ 2009-08-04 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

El dt, ago 04 2009 a les 10:59, Fabian Ezequiel Gallina va escriure:

> I really don't know how to give a better traceback for this. Any
> recommendations are appreciated.

  In these cases, strace can be useful to see what is the last thing that the process did before dying.
Try „strace ls“, „strace emacs --daemon“, „strace emacsclient“ etc. And „man strace“ for more information.
  gdb can also help to see what is Emacs doing, but it may be harder to extract the information.

* Re: 23.1; Emacs daemon gets killed by emacsclient -c
@ 2009-08-04 18:42     ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2009-08-04 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Fabian Ezequiel Gallina; +Cc: emacs-devel, Deniz Dogan

Fabian Ezequiel Gallina <galli.87@gmail.com> writes:

  > 2009/8/4 Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com>:
  > >
  > > FWIW, I was unable to reproduce this behavior. I tried opening a bunch
  > > of Emacs clients, both with -t and -c, without anything strange
  > > happening.
  > >

  > If I don't close the frames, then it works. The problem happens if I
  > actually do this:
  >
  > [fgallina@cuca ~]$ emacsclient -c
  > Waiting for Emacs...
  >
  > # Close the frame with C-x 5 0
  >
  > [fgallina@cuca ~]$ emacsclient -c
  > Waiting for Emacs...
  >
  > # Close the frame with C-x 5 0
  >
  > [fgallina@cuca ~]$ emacsclient -c
  > Waiting for Emacs...
  >
  > # The Frame does not opens because Emacs daemon was killed.
  >
  > I can reproduce this every time, and always happens on the third attempt.

I can't reproduce it on my Fedora 11 machine.
Can you recompile using:
configure --with-x-toolkit=lucid

and see if you get the problem in that configuration.

* Re: 23.1; Emacs daemon gets killed by emacsclient -c
@ 2009-08-04 19:53     ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2009-08-04 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Fabian Ezequiel Gallina; +Cc: emacs-devel, Deniz Dogan

Fabian Ezequiel Gallina <galli.87@gmail.com> writes:

> I can reproduce this every time, and always happens on the third attempt.

Do you use gtk-qt-engine, by chance?

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: 23.1; Emacs daemon gets killed by emacsclient -c
@ 2009-08-04 22:28       ` Fabian Ezequiel Gallina
From: Fabian Ezequiel Gallina @ 2009-08-04 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: emacs-devel, Deniz Dogan

2009/8/4 Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu>:
> Fabian Ezequiel Gallina <galli.87@gmail.com> writes:
>
> I can't reproduce it on my Fedora 11 machine.
> Can you recompile using:
> configure --with-x-toolkit=lucid
>
> and see if you get the problem in that configuration.

Hi Dan,

Compiled with lucid worked perfect, however I would like to able to
track down why is failing with gtk.

Regards,
--

@ 2009-08-04 22:34       ` Fabian Ezequiel Gallina
From: Fabian Ezequiel Gallina @ 2009-08-04 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: emacs-devel, Deniz Dogan

2009/8/4 Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org>:
> Fabian Ezequiel Gallina <galli.87@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I can reproduce this every time, and always happens on the third attempt.
>
> Do you use gtk-qt-engine, by chance?

No, I'm not.

I'm running Gnome 2.26.3 on Fedora 11 (x86_64).

Regards,
--

@ 2009-08-04 22:56       ` Wesley Dawson
From: Wesley Dawson @ 2009-08-04 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

> I can't reproduce it on my Fedora 11 machine.
> Can you recompile using:
> configure --with-x-toolkit=lucid
>
> and see if you get the problem in that configuration.

I'm running Fedora 11 Gnome, and have reproduced this bug. Recompiling with
lucid does indeed fix the situation.

Also, this appears to be specific to Fedora 11 Gnome. I tried a gtk-compiled
Emacs 23.1 on KDE and xfce and both worked fine.

* Re: 23.1; Emacs daemon gets killed by emacsclient -c
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-08-05  1:22     ` Liang Wang
From: Liang Wang @ 2009-08-05  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Fabian Ezequiel Gallina; +Cc: emacs-devel, Deniz Dogan

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 1:05 AM, Fabian Ezequiel
Gallina<galli.87@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/8/4 Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com>:
>>
>> FWIW, I was unable to reproduce this behavior. I tried opening a bunch
>> of Emacs clients, both with -t and -c, without anything strange
>> happening.
>>

> If I don't close the frames, then it works. The problem happens if I
> actually do this:
>
> [fgallina@cuca ~]$ emacsclient -c
> Waiting for Emacs...
>
> # Close the frame with C-x 5 0
>
> [fgallina@cuca ~]$ emacsclient -c
> Waiting for Emacs...
>
> # Close the frame with C-x 5 0
>
> [fgallina@cuca ~]$ emacsclient -c
> Waiting for Emacs...
>
> # The Frame does not opens because Emacs daemon was killed.
>
> I can reproduce this every time, and always happens on the third attempt.
>

> Thanks,
> Fabián E. Gallina

If it's the same bug as
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-03/msg00281.html,