all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Beginners question
@ 2002-09-10 19:18 John
From: John @ 2002-09-10 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

I started off with GNU/Linux last year, and initially started learning
Vi/Vim, as that was what was recommended and was also on my rescue
disk.

However, I have since learnt that Emacs wiil do everything, and if
theres something it doesn't do it's because no-one needs it yet. During
my initial blundering about in Emacs (while waiting for the books to
arrive), I'm sure I saw a Mayan Calendar! Was I right? If so what is it
for?
        a) it's still used in Central America?
        b) it's for use by historians/archaeologists?
        c) someone just fancied the challenge of writing it?

I really curious about this one, so any help wil be greatly appreciated.
--
John

* Re: Beginners question
@ 2002-09-10 19:19 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2002-09-10 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

John <john@no.spam.co.uk> writes:

> Was I right?

no worries, it is proper for the novice to blunder.
even experts do this for fun, sometimes.

thi

* Re: Beginners question
@ 2002-09-10 20:48 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-10 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

John <john@no.spam.co.uk> writes:

> I'm sure I saw a Mayan Calendar! Was I right?

Your surprise only means that you haven't found the Towers of Hanoi,
yet.

But never fear, Emacs comes with a doctor who can help you.

kai

PS: Hint C-h a is your friend.

* Re: Beginners question
@ 2002-09-10 21:28   ` John
From: John @ 2002-09-10 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Großjohann wrote:

I find this rather a shame, as one with a rather fine beard, (even if I
say so myself).

Thank you for your encouragement to all who have replied. I'm still
curious as to why this feature is there, but no doubt over time I'll
find it usefull.
--
John

* Mayan Calender --- why? (was: Beginners question)
@ 2002-09-10 21:35     ` lawrence mitchell
                       ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: lawrence mitchell @ 2002-09-10 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

John wrote:
[...]
> Thank you for your encouragement to all who have replied. I'm still
> curious as to why this feature is there,

Because it's possible, I mean, what better reason is there? ;).
And you never no just how many times someone might ask you what
the date is in Mayan (It's happened to me you know).

--
lawrence mitchell <wence@gmx.li>

* Re: Beginners question
@ 2002-09-10 21:53     ` Alan Shutko
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Alan Shutko @ 2002-09-10 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

John <john@no.spam.co.uk> writes:

> Thank you for your encouragement to all who have replied. I'm still
> curious as to why this feature is there, but no doubt over time I'll
> find it usefull.

I do believe the Ed Reingold (one of the authors of that file)
follows this group occasionally, so you may get the official answer
eventually.  It will probably be a day or two before you see any
response from him... I don't think he wastes as much time here as
some of us.  8^)

You might also find http://emr.cs.iit.edu/~reingold/calendars.shtml
informative.

Milkman in high heels: Dairy Queen

* Re: Beginners question
@ 2002-09-10 22:20     ` Robert Uhl <ruhl@4dv.net>
From: Robert Uhl <ruhl@4dv.net> @ 2002-09-10 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

John <john@no.spam.co.uk> writes:

> > A large number of young women don't trust men with beards.  (BFBS
> > Radio)
>
> I find this rather a shame, as one with a rather fine beard, (even
> if I say so myself).

I myself hope its not true, as I'm rather attached to my own beard.
There's a reason the phrase `beardless boy' exists, after all.

--
Robert Uhl <ruhl@4dv.net>
Have you ever noticed how much `political correctness' resembles a

* Re: Beginners question
@ 2002-09-11  0:18       ` Edward M. Reingold
From: Edward M. Reingold @ 2002-09-11  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

    AS> I do believe the Ed Reingold (one of the authors of that file) follows
    AS> this group occasionally, so you may get the official answer
    AS> eventually.  It will probably be a day or two before you see any
    AS> response from him... I don't think he wastes as much time here as some
    AS> of us.  8^)

I do follow the group, and probably waste as much time as anybody else!  The
official answer is (in the case of the Mayan calendar), that Stewart Clamen
sent me code!  I liked it, so I polished it and incorporated it into the
calendar package.

A better site is www.calendarists.com.

--

Professor Edward M. Reingold                Email: reingold@iit.edu
Chairman, Department of Computer Science    Voice: (312) 567-3309

* Re: Beginners question
@ 2002-09-11  0:57       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-09-11  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

ruhl@4dv.net (Robert Uhl <ruhl@4dv.net>) writes:

> John <john@no.spam.co.uk> writes:
>>
>> > A large number of young women don't trust men with beards.  (BFBS
>> > Radio)
>>
>> I find this rather a shame, as one with a rather fine beard, (even
>> if I say so myself).
>
> I myself hope its not true, as I'm rather attached to my own beard.
> There's a reason the phrase `beardless boy' exists, after all.

Don't worry guys
 A large number of young women don't trust men with beards.  (BFBS
 Radio)

Its the small number who are the (sexy) experimental types.

* Re: Beginners question
@ 2002-09-11  3:46         ` David Forrest
From: David Forrest @ 2002-09-11  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Harry Putnam wrote:

> Don't worry guys
>  A large number of young women don't trust men with beards.  (BFBS
>  Radio)
>
> Its the small number who are the (sexy) experimental types.

How many young women don't trust men without beards?

Dave
--
 Dave Forrest                                   drf5n@virginia.edu
 (804)642-0662h (434)924-3954w  http://mug.sys.virginia.edu/~drf5n/

* Re: Beginners question
@ 2002-09-11  6:27         ` Raimund.Kohl
From: Raimund.Kohl @ 2002-09-11  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Harry Putnam wrote:

> Don't worry guys
>  A large number of young women don't trust men with beards.  (BFBS
>  Radio)
>
> Its the small number who are the (sexy) experimental types.

well ... actually I wonder if it wouldn't be wiser to state:
Never trust a woman with a beard!

ray

* Re: Beginners question
       [not found] <mailman.1031726175.15955.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-09-11 10:17 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-11 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Raimund.Kohl@freenet.de writes:

> Never trust a woman with a beard!

Don't tell that to the dwarfs!

kai
--
~/.signature is: umop 3p!sdn    (Frank Nobis)

* Re: Beginners question
@ 2002-09-11 13:53           ` D. Goel
From: D. Goel @ 2002-09-11 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Forrest <drf5n@mug.sys.virginia.edu> writes:

> How many young women don't trust men without beards?

A large number :)

* Re: Beginners question
@ 2002-09-11 14:09         ` John
From: John @ 2002-09-11 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Edward M. Reingold wrote:

<snip>
> I do follow the group, and probably waste as much time as anybody
> else!  The official answer is (in the case of the Mayan calendar),
> that Stewart Clamen
> sent me code!  I liked it, so I polished it and incorporated it into
> the calendar package.
<snip>

Thank you so much for the explanation, I was curious as to how
conversions into Mayan dates cold be utilised.
--
John

* Re: Beginners question
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-09-11 17:26     ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2002-09-11 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Thank you for your encouragement to all who have replied. I'm still
> curious as to why this feature is there, but no doubt over time I'll
> find it useful.

It's just a remnant from the first emacsen developed before europeans
invented america.

* Re: Beginners question
                       ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-09-12  6:42     ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2002-09-12  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

John <john@no.spam.co.uk> wrote on Tue, 10 Sep 2002 22:28:38 +0100:
> Kai Großjohann wrote:

> A large number of young women don't trust men with beards.  (BFBS Radio)

There's probably an even larger number who don't trust men with money.

> I find this rather a shame, as one with a rather fine beard, (even if I
> say so myself).

I also find it a shame, as somebody with a rather course beard.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter