all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* error message
@ 2004-01-11  1:44 wsgr12
       [not found] ` <mailman.388.1073803738.928.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: wsgr12 @ 2004-01-11  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I installed emacs on winxp and got the message. Please advise.

cd c:/test/test
grep -n max  NUL
'grep' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

grep finished with no matches found at Sat Jan 10 17:43:11

* Re: error message
@ 2004-01-11  5:48 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.388.1073803738.928.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-01-11  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: wsgr12@yahoo.com (wsgr12)
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: 10 Jan 2004 17:44:44 -0800
>
> I installed emacs on winxp and got the message. Please advise.
>
> cd c:/test/test
> grep -n max  NUL
> 'grep' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.

"M-x grep" invokes an external program called grep.exe.  If you don't
have it installed, or it is not somewhere along the PATH that is
known to Emacs, you will see this message.

Solution: install a port of GNU Grep so that Emacs can find it.

* Re: error message
       [not found] ` <mailman.388.1073803738.928.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-01-12  4:08   ` wsgr12
From: wsgr12 @ 2004-01-12  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you. How can I set the path ? Answers or references will be appreciated.

@ 2004-01-12  5:50     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-01-12  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: wsgr12@yahoo.com (wsgr12)
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: 11 Jan 2004 20:08:50 -0800
>
> How can I set the path ?

That depends on your Windows version.  I'm guessing that in your
case, it's in Control Panel->System->Environment or something like
that.

But before you tinker with PATH, you should make sure you have
grep.exe somewhere on your disk.

* Re: error message
       [not found] <300b62ad-3fc9-404b-a4c2-4a0b013c6af2@d15g2000prj.googlegroups.com>
@ 2010-10-04  0:39 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2010-10-04  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Russ P." <russ.paielli@gmail.com> writes:

> Does anyone have any idea what might be causing the following error
> message and how to stop it?
>
> ** (emacs:1679): CRITICAL **: murrine_style_draw_box: assertion
> `height >= -1' failed
>
> I'm getting it constantly. I'm using Emacs 23.1.1 on Ubuntu 10.04.
> Thanks.
>
> Russ P.

It is a GTK+ bug, related to your window manager theme and nothing to do
with emacs. It is documented in the GTK+ bug tracker. Just ignore it.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: error message
@ 2010-10-04  2:25   ` Russ P.
From: Russ P. @ 2010-10-04  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 3, 5:39 pm, Tim X <t...@nospam.dev.null> wrote:
> "Russ P." <russ.paie...@gmail.com> writes:
> > Does anyone have any idea what might be causing the following error
> > message and how to stop it?
>
> > ** (emacs:1679): CRITICAL **: murrine_style_draw_box: assertion
> > `height >= -1' failed
>
> > I'm getting it constantly. I'm using Emacs 23.1.1 on Ubuntu 10.04.
> > Thanks.
>
> > Russ P.
>
> It is a GTK+ bug, related to your window manager theme and nothing to do
> with emacs. It is documented in the GTK+ bug tracker. Just ignore it.
>
> Tim
>
> --
> tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

Thanks. I'll just send it to /dev/null and hope I don't need to see
any other messages:

function em { emacs "$@" >& /dev/null & }