all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* unexpected behavior of the dotemacs
@ 2003-05-28 22:05 jean daniel browne
From: jean daniel browne @ 2003-05-28 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I use NTemacs 21.2.1 et GNUemacs 21.2.1 on the Red Hat 8.

I try to turn the background dark green ("DarkSlateGray"), everything
works
fine with NTemacs but either of the two following commands at the end
of the .emacs fails to do what i want on the linux box:

(set-background-color "DarkSlateGray")
(set-face-background 'default "DarkSlateGray")

I also tried to set it thru the "customize GUI".

Funny thing is that it works in NTemacs and also that the color of the
background is turn to dark green during the loading of emacs (0.5 seconds)
but then it goes back to white...

Any idea ...

Thank you

Jean Daniel Browne

By the way, someone may know how to turn off the additional icons bar of
the GNUemacs installed by Red Hat 8. Very nice, but well, i don't like it.

Thank you

* Re: unexpected behavior of the dotemacs
@ 2003-05-28 22:15 ` Sam Halliday
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Sam Halliday @ 2003-05-28 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

jean daniel browne wrote:
> I try to turn the background dark green ("DarkSlateGray"), everything
> works
> fine with NTemacs but either of the two following commands at the end
> of the .emacs fails to do what i want on the linux box:
> (set-background-color "DarkSlateGray")
> (set-face-background 'default "DarkSlateGray")
> I also tried to set it thru the "customize GUI".

this isn't a solution to your problem... but it may be an alternative:
have you used ColorTheme before?

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ColorTheme

i find it is definitely the best way to customise colours on emacs. just
place that lisp file in one of your paths (say ~/.elisp) and add these
lines to your ~/.emacs

  (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.elisp")
  (require 'color-theme)

and something like

  (color-theme-euphoria)

when you choose the theme you want

Sam

* Re: unexpected behavior of the dotemacs
@ 2003-05-29  3:36 ` Eli Zaretskii
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-05-29  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: jean daniel browne <browneje@etu.utc.fr>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 00:05:49 +0200
>
> either of the two following commands at the end
> of the .emacs fails to do what i want on the linux box:
>
> (set-background-color "DarkSlateGray")
> (set-face-background 'default "DarkSlateGray")

What exactly _does_ happen?  Do you get the default background color?
If so, perhaps your color palette is depleted (closing other GUI
applications, like Netscape, might help), or maybe DarkSlateGray is
not in your rgb.txt.

Does it work to use the "#RRGGBB" notation instead of "DarkSlateGray"?
Does it work to say "DarkSlateGrey" (note the `e' instead of `a')?

* Re: unexpected behavior of the dotemacs
@ 2003-05-29  8:30 ` Kai Großjohann
       [not found] ` <mailman.6973.1054179300.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-29  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

jean daniel browne <browneje@etu.utc.fr> writes:

> By the way, someone may know how to turn off the additional icons
> bar of the GNUemacs installed by Red Hat 8. Very nice, but well, i
> don't like it.

Please read the NEWS file.  It contains lots of useful information
for people who have upgraded their Emacs.  (I think you were using
Emacs 20 before, yes?)

There is an item in the Help menu, and it's also available via C-h.

--
This line is not blank.

* Re: unexpected behavior of the dotemacs
@ 2003-05-29 13:19   ` Jean Daniel Browne
From: Jean Daniel Browne @ 2003-05-29 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> this isn't a solution to your problem... but it may be an alternative:
> have you used ColorTheme before?

Ah! This is not a solution to my problem but I may give it a try,
thanks for the thought.

I am trying to build my own palette rigorously out of a so cool french
cartoon.

There is one great guy working exclusively on the colors for this
cartoon and the story is fun.

Very geeky, isn't it ?   :)

JD

@ 2003-05-29 13:32   ` Jean Daniel Browne
From: Jean Daniel Browne @ 2003-05-29 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

> What exactly _does_ happen?  Do you get the default background color?
Yes, I get the default background color.

I wrote a small interactive function containing the command
   (set-background-color "DarkSlateGray")
And I execute it with a shortcut right after emacs is launched. And it
works (i.e. the background color is DarkSlateGray).

> If so, perhaps your color palette is depleted (closing other GUI
> applications, like Netscape, might help), or maybe DarkSlateGray is
> not in your rgb.txt.

I think it is, since the background is changed to that specific color
during half a second during the loading jsut before the background
switches back to white. Netscape is not running, there is only a shell
(which is unlikely to deplete my color palette).

> Does it work to use the "#RRGGBB" notation instead of "DarkSlateGray"?
> Does it work to say "DarkSlateGrey" (note the `e' instead of `a')?
I am gonna try.

Thank you,

JD

* Re: unexpected behavior of the dotemacs
@ 2003-05-29 13:40     ` Oliver Scholz
From: Oliver Scholz @ 2003-05-29 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

jean-daniel.browne@parexel.com (Jean Daniel Browne) writes:

[...]
> I think it is, since the background is changed to that specific color
> during half a second during the loading jsut before the background
> switches back to white. Netscape is not running, there is only a shell
> (which is unlikely to deplete my color palette).
[...]

Stab in the dark: are you using KDE? Or some other WM with facilities
to force a certain colour scheme on all applications?

    Oliver
--
10 Prairial an 211 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!

* Re: unexpected behavior of the dotemacs
@ 2003-05-29 14:01   ` Jean Daniel Browne
From: Jean Daniel Browne @ 2003-05-29 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > By the way, someone may know how to turn off the additional icons
> > bar of the GNUemacs installed by Red Hat 8. Very nice, but well, i
> > don't like it.
>
> Please read the NEWS file.
Ok, I read it. Do you know what menu I am refering to?
Is it specific to RedHat?
Do you have a specific name for it?
I am not talking about the menu that you can toggle with
(menu-bar-mode -1)

> It contains lots of useful information
> for people who have upgraded their Emacs.  (I think you were using
> Emacs 20 before, yes?)
Not that I know, I just installed the GNU\Linux distro that was
available at that time, and started to learn emacs with this one. My
dotemacs is likely to contain commands from other people from other
version, though.

@ 2003-05-29 14:19     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-29 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

jean-daniel.browne@parexel.com (Jean Daniel Browne) writes:

>> > By the way, someone may know how to turn off the additional icons
>> > bar of the GNUemacs installed by Red Hat 8. Very nice, but well, i
>> > don't like it.
>>
>> Please read the NEWS file.
> Ok, I read it. Do you know what menu I am refering to?
> Is it specific to RedHat?
> Do you have a specific name for it?
> I am not talking about the menu that you can toggle with
> (menu-bar-mode -1)

I don't know, but it's probably (tool-bar-mode -1).
--
This line is not blank.

* Re: unexpected behavior of the dotemacs
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <mailman.6973.1054179300.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-05-29 20:25 ` Artur Hefczyc
From: Artur Hefczyc @ 2003-05-29 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I had the same problem before.
There are some applications and windows managers which
enforces their own palettes. (KDE for example)
There are some solutions to that case.

The one - simplest is to set default colours for your frames in the
following way:
;;; Setup initial emacs frames (windows) location and size
(setq default-frame-alist
      '((wait-for-wm . nil)
	(top . 0) (left . 0)
	(width . 85) (height . 40)
	(background-color . "gray15")
	(foreground-color . "limegreen")
	(cursor-color . "LightGoldenrod")
	(mouse-color . "yellow")
        ))
(setq initial-frame-alist
      '((top . 45) (left . 300)
;;        (width . 105) (height . 40)
        )
      )

This way works in most cases.
The another way is to use colour theme for emacs as someone
else suggested:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ColorTheme

Next solution is to turn off enforcing colours for other applications
in your window manager. It is known problem in KDE and it is even
described in emacs "Known problems" C-h P under emacs.
Search for 'kde' string - second one describes colour problem:
Part of this description is:
"
Alternatively, if you do want the KDE defaults to apply to other
applications, but not to Emacs, you could modify the file `Emacs.ad'
(should be in the `/usr/share/apps/kdisplay/app-defaults/' directory)
so that it doesn't set the default background and foreground only for
Emacs.  For example, make sure the following resources are either not
present or commented out:

   Emacs.default.attributeForeground
   Emacs.default.attributeBackground
   Emacs*Foreground
   Emacs*Background

"

gl

Additionally you can look in my site where I started to collect some
knowledge about emacs. You can find there also sample dotemacs file.
http://wttools.sourceforge.net/emacs-stuff/package.html

> I try to turn the background dark green ("DarkSlateGray"), everything
> works
> fine with NTemacs but either of the two following commands at the end
> of the .emacs fails to do what i want on the linux box:
> (set-background-color "DarkSlateGray")
> (set-face-background 'default "DarkSlateGray")
> I also tried to set it thru the "customize GUI".
> Funny thing is that it works in NTemacs and also that the color of the
> background is turn to dark green during the loading of emacs (0.5 seconds)
> but then it goes back to white...

Artur
--
Artur Hefczyc
Open Source Developer

@ 2003-05-29 20:27       ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-05-29 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, May 29 2003, Kai Großjohann wrote:

> I don't know, but it's probably (tool-bar-mode -1).

Setting "Emacs.toolBar: 0" in ~/.Xresources seems preferable (no
window resizing).

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: unexpected behavior of the dotemacs
@ 2003-05-29 23:51       ` Jean Daniel Browne
From: Jean Daniel Browne @ 2003-05-29 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I don't know, but it's probably (tool-bar-mode -1).

1. (tool-bar-mode -1) was a good guess

2. The background color problem seems to come from KDE as Olivier said
(merci a toi) since, with window maker, all the commands in the
dotemacs work fine.

* Re: unexpected behavior of the dotemacs
@ 2003-05-30  0:14         ` Oliver Scholz
From: Oliver Scholz @ 2003-05-30  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

jean-daniel.browne@parexel.com (Jean Daniel Browne) writes:
[...]
> 2. The background color problem seems to come from KDE as Olivier said
> (merci a toi) since, with window maker, all the commands in the
> dotemacs work fine.

I seem to recall that there is a check-box in the KDE control center
that you could uncheck in order to disable this feature. I don't know
for sure, though. It's been a long time since I last used KDE.

    Oliver
--
11 Prairial an 211 de la Révolution

@ 2003-05-30 14:40           ` Peter Lee
From: Peter Lee @ 2003-05-30 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

    OS> I seem to recall that there is a check-box in the KDE control
    OS> center that you could uncheck in order to disable this
    OS> feature. I don't know for sure, though. It's been a long time
    OS> since I last used KDE.

There is a checkbox... I ran into this same problem.  It's basically
an all or nothing switch that says, force desktop themes onto non-kde
apps.