all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Help with coroutine.el
@ 2015-04-10  2:24 Davin Pearson
From: Davin Pearson @ 2015-04-10  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Emacs worshippers!

I would like to use Michael Abraham Shulman's coroutine.el but there are no worked examples of the package in action.  Here is the location of coroutine.el's source code:

http://emacswiki.org/emacs/coroutine.el

Could someone in this newsgroup with experience with coroutine.el give me some worked examples showing how to use the coroutine package?

I tried emailing him at viritrilbia at users.sourceforge.net but got no response.

I also tried visiting his website:

http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~shulman/pub/Main/Software/coroutine.el

but the site was down...

* Re: Help with coroutine.el
@ 2015-04-10  2:34 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2015-04-10  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Davin Pearson <davin.pearson@gmail.com> writes:

> I would like to use Michael Abraham Shulman's
> coroutine.el but there are no worked examples of the
> package in action. Here is the location of
> coroutine.el's source code:
>
> http://emacswiki.org/emacs/coroutine.el
>
> Could someone in this newsgroup with experience with
> coroutine.el give me some worked examples showing
> how to use the coroutine package?

I can't, but: what do you want to do?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: Help with coroutine.el
@ 2015-04-12 20:33 ` Davin Pearson
From: Davin Pearson @ 2015-04-12 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Friday, April 10, 2015 at 2:25:01 PM UTC+12, Davin Pearson wrote:
> Hi Emacs worshippers!
>
> I would like to use Michael Abraham Shulman's coroutine.el but there are no worked examples of the package in action.  Here is the location of coroutine.el's source code:
>
> http://emacswiki.org/emacs/coroutine.el
>
> Could someone in this newsgroup with experience with coroutine.el give me some worked examples showing how to use the coroutine package?
>
> I tried emailing him at viritrilbia at users.sourceforge.net but got no response.
>
> I also tried visiting his website:
>
> http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~shulman/pub/Main/Software/coroutine.el
>
> but the site was down...

something like this:

(defun foo ()
   (message "hello")
   (yield)
   (message "goodbye"))

(foo) -> "hello"
(foo) -> "goodbye"

I don't know how you go about defining a coroutine function like foo.

* Re: Help with coroutine.el
@ 2015-04-12 20:50   ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
       [not found]   ` <mailman.525.1428872650.904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2015-04-12 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Davin Pearson <davin.pearson@gmail.com> writes:

> something like this:
>
> (defun foo ()
>    (message "hello")
>    (yield)
>    (message "goodbye"))
>
> (foo) -> "hello"
> (foo) -> "goodbye"
>
> I don't know how you go about defining a coroutine function like foo.

You can have a look at the Common Lisp library Arnesi, which contains a
CPS transformer, that would help doing that.

https://common-lisp.net/project/bese/docs/arnesi/html/Automatically_Converting_a_Subset_of_Common_Lisp_to_CPS.html

* Re: Help with coroutine.el
@ 2015-04-12 21:03   ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found]   ` <mailman.525.1428872650.904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2015-04-12 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> something like this:

> (defun foo ()
>    (message "hello")
>    (yield)
>    (message "goodbye"))

> (foo) -> "hello"
> (foo) -> "goodbye"

Ah, Emacs-25 has such a thing, in file generator.el.

* Re: Help with coroutine.el
       [not found]   ` <mailman.525.1428872650.904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2015-04-16  1:19     ` Davin Pearson
From: Davin Pearson @ 2015-04-16  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Monday, April 13, 2015 at 9:04:12 AM UTC+12, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > something like this:
>
> > (defun foo ()
> >    (message "hello")
> >    (yield)
> >    (message "goodbye"))
>
> > (foo) -> "hello"
> > (foo) -> "goodbye"
>
> Ah, Emacs-25 has such a thing, in file generator.el.

Thank you for your helpful response!

Where is Emacs 25?  I cannot find it in the following directory:

http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/windows/

In this directory the version number only goes up to 24

* Re: Help with coroutine.el
@ 2015-04-16  1:47       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2015-04-16  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Where is Emacs 25?

Not released yet.  But you can checkout the development code from the
VCS repository.