all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* getting out of text selection in emacs 23
@ 2009-07-21 13:00 Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2009-07-21 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

in emacs23, often when i have a text selection, i can't deselect it
with Ctrl+g. Sometimes pressing Ctrl+g twice works, sometimes not and
i have to move cursor first then Ctrl+g, or do a copy to get rid of
the selection.

is this just me or something in emacs23?

GNU Emacs 23.0.94.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.0.6002) of 2009-05-28 on
LENNART-69DE564 (patched)

Thanks.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: getting out of text selection in emacs 23
@ 2009-07-21 15:00 ` Wang Lei
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Wang Lei @ 2009-07-21 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xah Lee; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

It doesn't happen to me.
GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 even older

--
Regards
Lei

* Re: getting out of text selection in emacs 23
@ 2009-07-21 18:21 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.2932.1248200470.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-07-21 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Xah Lee <xahlee@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 06:00:12 -0700 (PDT)
>
> in emacs23, often when i have a text selection, i can't deselect it
> with Ctrl+g. Sometimes pressing Ctrl+g twice works, sometimes not and
> i have to move cursor first then Ctrl+g, or do a copy to get rid of
> the selection.
>
> is this just me or something in emacs23?

Please describe how you select the text when that happens.  There are
several different ways to select, each one with its own peculiarities
(and features).  Also, if this isn't in "emacs -Q", please tell what
is the setting of transient-mark-mode.

* Re: getting out of text selection in emacs 23
@ 2009-07-21 18:21 ` Lennart Borgman
       [not found] ` <mailman.2932.1248200470.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-07-21 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xah Lee; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 3:00 PM, Xah Lee<xahlee@gmail.com> wrote:
> in emacs23, often when i have a text selection, i can't deselect it
> with Ctrl+g. Sometimes pressing Ctrl+g twice works, sometimes not and
> i have to move cursor first then Ctrl+g, or do a copy to get rid of
> the selection.
>
> is this just me or something in emacs23?
>
> GNU Emacs 23.0.94.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.0.6002) of 2009-05-28 on
> LENNART-69DE564 (patched)

Hi Xah, can you give an example of how to reproduce it?

@ 2009-07-21 20:15   ` Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2009-07-21 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jul 21, 11:21 am, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
> > From: Xah Lee <xah...@gmail.com>
> > Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 06:00:12 -0700 (PDT)
>
> > in emacs23, often when i have a text selection, i can't deselect it
> > with Ctrl+g. Sometimes pressing Ctrl+g twice works, sometimes not and
> > i have to move cursor first then Ctrl+g, or do a copy to get rid of
> > the selection.
>
> > is this just me or something in emacs23?
>
> Please describe how you select the text when that happens.  There are
> several different ways to select, each one with its own peculiarities
> (and features).  Also, if this isn't in "emacs -Q", please tell what
> is the setting of transient-mark-mode.

thanks all.

i'll track down to more details and hopefully a production step if it
turns out is not something in my emacs customization.

 Xah