all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How use keybindings in term mode?
@ 2009-01-31  6:59 seberino
From: seberino @ 2009-01-31  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"term" (term mode) is more like a real shell than "shell"

I noticed you can't do certain keybindings in term mode.  It is as if
you lose all your Emacs key binding when you use term mode.

Is there some way to find a happy medium between term and shell?
In other words, more power than shell w/o losing so many keybindings
like in term mode?

chris

* Re: How use keybindings in term mode?
@ 2009-01-31  7:11 ` Xah Lee
       [not found]   ` <mailman.6341.1233419045.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Xah Lee @ 2009-01-31  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jan 30, 10:59 pm, "seber...@spawar.navy.mil"
<seber...@spawar.navy.mil> wrote:
> "term" (term mode) is more like a real shell than "shell"
>
> I noticed you can't do certain keybindings in term mode.  It is as if
> you lose all your Emacs key binding when you use term mode.
>
> Is there some way to find a happy medium between term and shell?
> In other words, more power than shell w/o losing so many keybindings
> like in term mode?
>
> chris

there is a thing called Asking Too Much. Lol.

there's “shell”, and there's “term”. (and there's “eshell” and
“terminal-emulator”)

each one is created to be optimal for some purposes.

Sure, you can add your personal customization on top of any to give
your “happy middle”. Though, unless you have a specific customization
question... there's no such as happy middle in the already 4 variants.

my personal q is what's the diff between term and terminal-emulator...
never spend time on it. I'm very happy with just “shell”. For any term
need, i switch to a “real” term emulator.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: How use keybindings in term mode?
@ 2009-01-31  7:12 ` Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2009-01-31  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2009-01-30 22:59 (-0800), seberino@spawar.navy.mil wrote:

> I noticed you can't do certain keybindings in term mode. It is as if
> you lose all your Emacs key binding when you use term mode.
>
> Is there some way to find a happy medium between term and shell? In
> other words, more power than shell w/o losing so many keybindings like
> in term mode?

In term mode the normal prefix key for Emacs commands is C-c. It works
pretty much like C-x prefix key elsewhere in Emacs. I prefer using C-x
in term mode too so I do this in my ~/.emacs file:

    (add-hook 'term-mode-hook
              '(lambda ()
                 (term-set-escape-char ?\C-x)))

* Re: How use keybindings in term mode?
@ 2009-01-31 16:24   ` Nurullah Akkaya
       [not found]   ` <mailman.6341.1233419045.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nurullah Akkaya @ 2009-01-31 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 9:11 AM, Xah Lee <xahlee@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 30, 10:59 pm, "seber...@spawar.navy.mil"
> <seber...@spawar.navy.mil> wrote:
> > "term" (term mode) is more like a real shell than "shell"
> >
> > I noticed you can't do certain keybindings in term mode.  It is as if
> > you lose all your Emacs key binding when you use term mode.
> >
> > Is there some way to find a happy medium between term and shell?
> > In other words, more power than shell w/o losing so many keybindings
> > like in term mode?
> >
> > chris
>
> there is a thing called Asking Too Much. Lol.
>
> there's "shell", and there's "term". (and there's "eshell" and
> "terminal-emulator")
>
> each one is created to be optimal for some purposes.
>
> Sure, you can add your personal customization on top of any to give
> your "happy middle". Though, unless you have a specific customization
> question... there's no such as happy middle in the already 4 variants.
>
> my personal q is what's the diff between term and terminal-emulator...
> never spend time on it. I'm very happy with just "shell". For any term
> need, i switch to a "real" term emulator.
>
>  Xah
> ∑ http://xahlee.org/
>
> ☄

you can switch between term modes. using C-c c-j will put you in line mode
where term is behaves like a buffer , then u can use C-c c-k to switch back
to char mode. also if you have global set  keys in your .emacs they will
work.

@ 2009-02-02 20:38     ` seberino
       [not found]       ` <mailman.6630.1233662121.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: seberino @ 2009-02-02 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jan 31, 8:24 am, Nurullah Akkaya <nurullah.akk...@blooby.com>
wrote:

> you can switch between term modes. using C-c c-j will put you in line mode
> where term is behaves like a buffer , then u can use C-c c-k to switch back
> to char mode. also if you have global set  keys in your .emacs they will
> work.

I'd to rebind those to function keys.  Is this possible?

cs

* Re: How use keybindings in term mode?
@ 2009-02-02 20:39   ` seberino
From: seberino @ 2009-02-02 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jan 30, 11:12 pm, Teemu Likonen <tliko...@iki.fi> wrote:
> In term mode the normal prefix key for Emacs commands is C-c. It works
> pretty much like C-x prefix key elsewhere in Emacs. I prefer using C-x
> in term mode too so I do this in my ~/.emacs file:
>
>     (add-hook 'term-mode-hook
>               '(lambda ()
>                  (term-set-escape-char ?\C-x)))

Rather than rebinding C-c, is it possible to rebind C-c C-j and C-c C-
k ??

e.g. have function keys do the same thing

cs

* Re: How use keybindings in term mode?
@ 2009-02-03 11:55       ` Nurullah Akkaya
       [not found]       ` <mailman.6630.1233662121.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nurullah Akkaya @ 2009-02-03 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 10:38 PM, seberino@spawar.navy.mil <
seberino@spawar.navy.mil> wrote:

> On Jan 31, 8:24 am, Nurullah Akkaya <nurullah.akk...@blooby.com>
> wrote:
>
> > you can switch between term modes. using C-c c-j will put you in line
> mode
> > where term is behaves like a buffer , then u can use C-c c-k to switch
> back
> > to char mode. also if you have global set  keys in your .emacs they will
> > work.
>
> I'd to rebind those to function keys.  Is this possible?
>
> cs

yes it is possible you have bind "term-line-mode" and "term-char-mode"
functions.

@ 2009-02-03 20:03         ` seberino
From: seberino @ 2009-02-03 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 3, 3:55 am, Nurullah Akkaya <nurullah.akk...@blooby.com> wrote:

> yes it is possible you have bind "term-line-mode" and "term-char-mode"
> functions.

Thank you.  I really appreciate it.  I'm confused how you can invoke
term-line-mode with say F4 key
from within char mode since in char mode it doesn't recognize Emacs
key bindings!??!

Chris