On Tue, Sep 24, 2024 at 11:22:12AM +0700, Max Nikulin wrote: > On 23/09/2024 12:54, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote: [...] > A similar problem exists in Vim as well. It has its own "keyboard layout" > switch C-^ (:set keymap), :set langmap to alleviate the issue with > alternative layout active at the XKB layer, and various tricks to change XKB > layout on switch from insert to normal mode > > > My perception is that heavy usage of modifiers and multikey bindings in > Emacs outweighs necessity to escape from insert mode in Vim, so switching > keyboard for any command is more annoying. :-) I share your perception: it weighs more. But currently, to me, swithching the layout feels the least ugly alternative. Input strategy changes, and tends to batch command actions while typing. > On 21/09/2024 12:40, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote: > > Surprisingly, some applications seem to magically "cope" in some way. In > > Firefox, CTRL-τ opens a new tab (as CTRL-t would do under a Latin layout). > > But this doesn't really count: Firefox has just a few useful keybindings > > and the whole model actually discourages using them, while Emacs has > > a very rich set of bindings which is at the core of its user interaction. > > Most of applications, including Firefox, use Alt+something to access menus > and accelerator keys for selecting menu items. It requires switching > keyboard layout to match application locale and it is pain. Only some > hotkeys work with both keyboard layouts. Cοntrol sequences /sometimes/ work in the browser [1] and sometimes not (which is what I've come to expect from that kind of application: inconsistency keeps users humble). For example, C-w to close a tab (which would be C-ς in the Greek layout) works, whereas C-q (Greek layout: C-;) to close the whole frame doesn't. Of note is that C-q doesn't work on Windows at all (and whines a lot on Linux [2]), so perhaps we are seeing through several archeological UI layers. But perhaps there's just someone editing C- mappings for every possible keyboard layout under the sun and has forgotten that one. Cheers [1] browser == firefox, current Debian stable [2] You sure you want to close me? Oooooh! -- t