all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* [Question] use-package's :init or :config for enabling modes
@ 2024-05-19 17:38 Rodrigo Morales
From: Rodrigo Morales @ 2024-05-19 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I emptied =~/.config/emacs/init.el= file and I inserted the following sexp and launched Emacs. =vertico-mode= was enabled.

#+BEGIN_SRC elisp
(use-package vertico

  :config (vertico-mode))
#+END_SRC

I emptied =~/.config/emacs/init.el= again and I inserted the following sexp and launched Emacs. =vertico-mode= was enabled.

#+BEGIN_SRC elisp
(use-package vertico

  :init (vertico-mode))
#+END_SRC

As shown above, whether we use =:init= or =:config= both can be used for enabling a mode. So my question is: What's the difference between using =:config= and =:init= for enabling a mode that is defined by a package.

* System information

GNU Emacs 29.3 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.41, cairo version 1.18.0)