On Tue, Sep 05, 2023 at 05:53:30AM +0000, Ihor Radchenko wrote: > writes: > > > I did offer one: checking for a version number is actually a placeholder > > for the feature your code cares about. Better be up-front in the test > > and let the reader know what your code's needs are. > > Not always. Sometimes, version check is necessary to work around bugs > that exist in older Emacs. I think I said in my original post "almost always". All generalisations suck ;-) But even in your example's case I'd try to come up with a test which discriminates between the behaviours. Now this is engineering and everything is a tradeoff. Perhaps this test is prohibitive, perhaps it can't be done at compile time and so on. So I do agree with your "not always". Cheers -- t