On Mon, Sep 04, 2023 at 08:30:25PM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote: > [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider ]]] > [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies, ]]] > [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]] > > > How about making the byte compiler recognize the construct > > > (if (< emacs-major-version NUMBER) ...) > > > and do this optimization on it? > > People seem not to have considered this seriously, but I have not seen > any serious discussion of a drawback. What flaw or drawback do people > see in it? It should optimize the existing the existing code with no > change at all. Isn't that just perfect? I did offer one: checking for a version number is actually a placeholder for the feature your code cares about. Better be up-front in the test and let the reader know what your code's needs are. Cheers -- t