On Wed 02 Aug 2023 21:06:09 +0800, Po Lu wrote: > > But "emacsclient --create-frame" won't work until/unless it checks > > $BROADWAY_DISPLAY, right? > > Correct. I did some testing. It appears to Just Work for basic usage (single display server). I put some screenshots here: https://imgur.com/a/RSfScXt I've also attached a single before/after pair. One thing that really surprised me: quitting emacs (e.g. via M-x kill-emacs) causes broadwayd to crash! This is not the case for gtk3-demo, so it might be a weirdness in emacs. I also tested if GTK3 apps can display in gtk4-broadwayd, and if GTK4 apps can display in [gtk3]-broadwayd. It seems they cannot. > > If the general consensus is "too hard; WONTFIX", I am OK with that. > > This is something I want a couple of times a year, not every single > > day. > > If such a fix only serves the interests of a few users of WSL, then yes. > But we still receive occasional reports of frustration with > Emacsclient's display detection from Wayland users on GNU/Linux, so this > problem will have to be tackled. > > However, I'm not willing to settle for replicating GDK's own display > selection mechanism using the names of a few environment variables that > simply coincide with those used by common GDK configurations. Going > down that route would be incredibly fragile, and make Emacs even more > subject to GDK's petty whims. I think your argument is reasonable and sensible. > Perhaps, for the time being, PGTK builds should forgo checking for a > display in Emacsclient, and simply use whatever display connection was > last opened. > > Comments? For my personal use I think Emacs's current behaviour is adequate. (i.e. I think this bug ticket can be closed.) The Debian people seem to be OK with shipping a per-build emacsclient (i.e. emacsclient moves from "emacs-bin-common" to "emacs-" deb). That means the existing "#ifdef pgtk then check $WAYLAND_DISPLAY" will be OK. At least for most users, most of the time. I'm really excited that I finally have pgtk through my normal distro channels! It's cool! :-)