On Thu, May 25, 2023 at 06:26:30PM -0700, David Masterson wrote: > writes: > > > On Thu, May 25, 2023 at 03:25:00AM +0200, Emanuel Berg wrote: > > > >> Conclusion: You are allowed to use the latest Emacs even if > >> you use Debian :) > > > > Absolutely. > > But, if you want to use latest Emacs on stable Debian, do you have to > build Emacs yourself. If so, do you have to pull in (a lot of) packages > needed to build Emacs, but are not in stable Debian? Then, do you have > to go through the process of updating these packages to build a clean > Emacs when you update to a new version of Emacs? I compile Emacs somewhat irregularly under Debian stable (currently bullseye). I haven't ever needed anything which hasn't been in the distro (of course, you'll have to install the appropriate build and -dev packages, but once you get the hang of it, that isn't hard). I never liked flats, snaps and hubs. Cheers -- t