all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Load other program from emacs
@ 2003-11-05  7:32 Li Chen
From: Li Chen @ 2003-11-05  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there any method which can load other programs within emacs and
return the control to emacs immediately instead leave emacs waiting
until that program was ended?

I can invoke a program within emacs using shell command and shell buffer,
however, both of them lock the emacs and wait for the end of invoked
program.

Richard

* Re: Load other program from emacs
@ 2003-11-05  9:08 ` Joakim Hove
From: Joakim Hove @ 2003-11-05  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Li Chen <cli2@student.monash.edu.au> writes:

> Is there any method which can load other programs within emacs and
> return the control to emacs immediately instead leave emacs waiting
> until that program was ended?

C-h f shell-command:

  shell-command is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `simple'.
  (shell-command COMMAND &optional OUTPUT-BUFFER ERROR-BUFFER)

  Execute string COMMAND in inferior shell; display output, if any.
  With prefix argument, insert the COMMAND's output at point.

  If COMMAND ends in ampersand, execute it asynchronously.
  The output appears in the buffer `*Async Shell Command*'.
  That buffer is in shell mode.

So, adding an "&" at the end of the command should do the trick?

HTH - Joakim

 / Joakim Hove  / hove@bccs.no  /  (55 5) 84076       |                 \
 | Unifob AS, Avdeling for Beregningsvitenskap (BCCS) | Stabburveien 18 |
 | CMU                                                | 5231 Paradis    |
 \ Thormøhlensgt.55, 5020 Bergen.                     | 55 91 28 18     /

* Re: Load other program from emacs
@ 2003-11-05 10:47 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2003-11-05 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Li Chen <cli2@student.monash.edu.au> writes:

> Is there any method which can load other programs within emacs and
> return the control to emacs immediately instead leave emacs waiting
> until that program was ended?

check out `M-x compile'.

thi

* Re: Load other program from emacs
@ 2003-11-05 15:57 ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2003-11-05 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <Pine.WNT.4.58.0311051827170.2388@NingNing>,
Li Chen  <cli2@student.monash.edu.au> wrote:
>Is there any method which can load other programs within emacs and
>return the control to emacs immediately instead leave emacs waiting
>until that program was ended?
>
>I can invoke a program within emacs using shell command and shell buffer,
>however, both of them lock the emacs and wait for the end of invoked
>program.

If you end the command line with "&", the command will be run in the
background and control will return immediately, just as in an ordinary
shell.

--
Barry Margolin, barry.margolin@level3.com
Level(3), Woburn, MA

* Re: Load other program from emacs
@ 2003-11-06  2:03   ` Richard
From: Richard @ 2003-11-06  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks a lot! It workds very well except a buffer call 'Async Shell
Command' popup. It not a problem, but if any method can hide it
automatically will make things better.

Richard

@ 2003-11-06 18:20     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-11-06 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

[Please don't top-post.]

Richard wrote:

> Thanks a lot! It workds very well except a buffer call 'Async Shell
> Command' popup. It not a problem, but if any method can hide it
> automatically will make things better.

(defadvice display-buffer (around async-shell-command activate)
   "If BUFFER is named *Async Shell Command*, don't display it."
   (or (and (bufferp (ad-get-arg 0))
	   (equal (buffer-name (ad-get-arg 0)) "*Async Shell Command*"))
       ad-do-it))

--
Kevin Rodgers