On Fri, Sep 09, 2022 at 02:59:19PM +0200, Gerd Möllmann wrote: > Stefan Monnier writes: > > >>> Or even, do we still have terminals connected with, don't know, say 1200 > >>> baud or some such? > >> I don't think so, but we do have slow net links and ssh logins. > > > > I wonder how this interacts with our display optimizations, to be > > honest: slow network connections tend to suffer mostly in terms of > > "packets per second" rather than "bytes per second", so an optimization > > makes a difference only if it changes the size of a display update > > from N+1 packets to N packets (or fewer). > > Where the size of packets differs in interactive use, I think. I mean, > I can't imagine how to use SSH interactively if it waited until packets > are large enough. > > Hm. Hard to tell what effect that packeting has. How does SSH decide > to send something over the network in interactive mode? Nagle's algorithm and TCP_NODELAY are the keywords here, AFAIK. Cheers -- t