all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to jump with ediff
@ 2022-08-26 13:35 Haines Brown
From: Haines Brown @ 2022-08-26 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm trynig to use ediff to find a difference in one buffer and
use that information to edit another buffer.

The files are split vertically. Howevewr I do not know how to jump
from one difference to the next. I hear about using n and p to jump
but cannot because the buffers are writable.

What I would like to do is jump to the next diff in one buffer in sync
with a jump in the other buffer so that I am automaticall looking at
the same region in both.

Haines Brown

* Re: How to jump with ediff
@ 2022-08-26 14:07 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2022-08-26 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Aug 26, 2022 at 09:35:05AM -0400, Haines Brown wrote:
> I'm trynig to use ediff to find a difference in one buffer and
> use that information to edit another buffer.
>
> The files are split vertically. Howevewr I do not know how to jump
> from one difference to the next. I hear about using n and p to jump
> but cannot because the buffers are writable.

Ah. You have to focus on that little "control" frame to enter those
commands (you can make it larger by typing "?" in there). Think of
it like your TV's remote control :)

(BTW: I never tried on a TTY: how does it work there?)

Cheers

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: How to jump with ediff
@ 2022-08-26 14:23   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-08-26 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 16:07:31 +0200
> From: <tomas@tuxteam.de>
>
> Ah. You have to focus on that little "control" frame to enter those
> commands (you can make it larger by typing "?" in there). Think of
> it like your TV's remote control :)
>
> (BTW: I never tried on a TTY: how does it work there?)

It's a window instead of a frame.

* Re: How to jump with ediff
@ 2022-08-26 16:09     ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2022-08-26 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Aug 26, 2022 at 05:23:04PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 16:07:31 +0200
> > From: <tomas@tuxteam.de>
> >
> > Ah. You have to focus on that little "control" frame to enter those
> > commands (you can make it larger by typing "?" in there). Think of
> > it like your TV's remote control :)
> >
> > (BTW: I never tried on a TTY: how does it work there?)
>
> It's a window instead of a frame.

Thanks :)

(Now I'm back from $JOB I'll try it myself, so next time I can be more
helpful)

Cheers

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: How to jump with ediff
@ 2022-08-26 23:43       ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2022-08-26 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

<tomas@tuxteam.de> writes:

> > > (BTW: I never tried on a TTY: how does it work there?)
> >
> > It's a window instead of a frame.

Also see `ediff-window-setup-function'.

Michael.

* How to jump with ediff
@ 2022-08-27 14:24 Haines Brown
From: Haines Brown @ 2022-08-27 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I split a buffer horizontally and want to use ediff to find a
difference in a file displayed in one window and use that
information to edit a version of that file displayed in the other
window.

Simple enough but I do not know how to jump from one difference to the
next. I read that this is done with the n and p keys, but I cannot do
that because the files are writable. How does one jump from one
diff to the next in ediff? Do I have to make the window in which I
view a diff unwritable and the window in which I edit the file writable?

What I would ideally like to do is jump to the next diff in one window
in sync with an automatic movement on the other window to the same
position so that information on one file can be used to edit the
other. Are synced jumps possible?

Haines Brown

* How to jump with ediff
@ 2022-08-28 10:28 Haines Brown
From: Haines Brown @ 2022-08-28 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I split a buffer horizontally and want to use ediff to find a
difference in a file displayed in one window and to use that
information to edit a file displayed in the other window.

However I do not know how to jump from one diff to the next. I read
that it is done with the n and p keys, but I cannot do it because the
file is writable. To act on differences a file must be writable.

What I would like to do is jump to the next diff in one window in sync
with a jump to that position in in the other window so that I am
automaticall looking at the same region in both so that I can can use
what I see in own to edit th other. Are synced jumps possible?

Haines Brown

* Re: How to jump with ediff
@ 2022-08-28 15:23 ` Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-08-28 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> However I do not know how to jump from one diff to the next. I read
> that it is done with the n and p keys, but I cannot do it because the
> file is writable. To act on differences a file must be writable.

`n` is indeed the key to use, but you have to use it in the Ediff
control window.

* Re: How to jump with ediff
@ 2022-08-28 16:56   ` Haines Brown
From: Haines Brown @ 2022-08-28 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

On Sun, Aug 28, 2022 at 11:23:30AM -0400, Stefan Monnier via Users
list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:

> > However I do not know how to jump from one diff to the next. I read
> > that it is done with the n and p keys, but I cannot do it because the
> > file is writable. To act on differences a file must be writable.
>
> `n` is indeed the key to use, but you have to use it in the Ediff
> control window.
>

>         Stefan

Stefan, thank you, but you loose me. What is a "control window"? I'm
running ediff in emacs. With the Mx-ediff command Emacs displays two
vertical windows. One displays one file and the other window displays
the other file. There is no "Ediff control window" that I can see.

I should note that I'm running Devuan (Debian without systemd) and I
have no desktop environment.

Haines

* Re: How to jump with ediff
@ 2022-08-28 18:38     ` Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-08-28 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Stefan, thank you, but you loose me. What is a "control window"? I'm
> running ediff in emacs. With the Mx-ediff command Emacs displays two
> vertical windows. One displays one file and the other window displays
> the other file. There is no "Ediff control window" that I can see.

Hmm... you're supposed to get a third window (normally shown in
a small separate Emacs frame) showing a buffer called "*Ediff Control
Panel*".  The modeline doesn't show the buffer name, tho.  And the frame
is quite small, something line 2 lines by 20 columns or so (one line is
the mode line which just shows how many diffs were found).

* Re: How to jump with ediff
@ 2022-08-28 20:37       ` Gregory Heytings
From: Gregory Heytings @ 2022-08-28 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> Stefan, thank you, but you loose me. What is a "control window"? I'm
>> running ediff in emacs. With the Mx-ediff command Emacs displays two
>> vertical windows. One displays one file and the other window displays
>> the other file. There is no "Ediff control window" that I can see.
>
> Hmm... you're supposed to get a third window (normally shown in a small
> separate Emacs frame) showing a buffer called "*Ediff Control Panel*".
> The modeline doesn't show the buffer name, tho.  And the frame is quite
> small, something line 2 lines by 20 columns or so (one line is the mode
> line which just shows how many diffs were found).

IMO that separate Ediff Control Panel frame is an unfortunate default.

Haines, add the following to your init file, and you'll see the Ediff
Control Panel at the bottom of the frame:

(setq ediff-window-setup-function #'ediff-setup-windows-plain)

* Re: How to jump with ediff
@ 2022-08-28 20:48       ` Haines Brown
From: Haines Brown @ 2022-08-28 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

On Sun, Aug 28, 2022 at 02:38:24PM -0400, Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:
> > Stefan, thank you, but you loose me. What is a "control window"? I'm
> > running ediff in emacs. With the Mx-ediff command Emacs displays two
> > vertical windows. One displays one file and the other window displays
> > the other file. There is no "Ediff control window" that I can see.
>
> Hmm... you're supposed to get a third window (normally shown in
> a small separate Emacs frame) showing a buffer called "*Ediff Control
> Panel*".  The modeline doesn't show the buffer name, tho.  And the frame
> is quite small, something line 2 lines by 20 columns or so (one line is
> the mode line which just shows how many diffs were found).
>
>         Stefan

You enouraged me to look a bit further and sure enough. I run emacs FS
and so never think of anything under except a few old terminals. But I
now see that there is an ediff a window under emacs. Here the p and
nxxt commands do work, and the movement in one file is synced with
that of the other. So my appended question was answered as well. Thank
you.

Haines

* Re: How to jump with ediff
@ 2022-08-28 20:51         ` Haines Brown
From: Haines Brown @ 2022-08-28 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

On Sun, Aug 28, 2022 at 08:37:43PM +0000, Gregory Heytings wrote:

> > > Stefan, thank you, but you loose me. What is a "control window"? I'm
> > > running ediff in emacs. With the Mx-ediff command Emacs displays two
> > > vertical windows. One displays one file and the other window
> > > displays the other file. There is no "Ediff control window" that I
> > > can see.
> >
> > Hmm... you're supposed to get a third window (normally shown in a small
> > separate Emacs frame) showing a buffer called "*Ediff Control Panel*".
> > The modeline doesn't show the buffer name, tho.  And the frame is quite
> > small, something line 2 lines by 20 columns or so (one line is the mode
> > line which just shows how many diffs were found).
> >

> IMO that separate Ediff Control Panel frame is an unfortunate default.
>
> Haines, add the following to your init file, and you'll see the Ediff
> Control Panel at the bottom of the frame:
>
> (setq ediff-window-setup-function #'ediff-setup-windows-plain)

Gregory, thanks. I will be trying it out.

Haines

* Re: How to jump with ediff
@ 2022-08-28 21:42         ` Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-08-28 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> IMO that separate Ediff Control Panel frame is an unfortunate default.

Yes, Ediff's UI is a bit problematic in this respect, indeed.

> (setq ediff-window-setup-function #'ediff-setup-windows-plain)

This will probably help Haines, indeed, but comes with its own set of
problems.  I'd much prefer a mode that dispenses completely with
a "control window/frame/buffer". and uses maybe some prefix key or some
modal interface in the main buffers to access the functionality
currently provided by the separate control buffer.

I think `vdiff` (in GNU ELPA) tries to do something like what I propose,
tho I never really tried to use it (I don't use Ediff very often
either, I usually prefer to look at `diff` output instead, in
`diff-mode`, or otherwise merge the different versions into a single
file with `diff3` and then use `smerge-mode`).