all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Fido mode
@ 2022-04-05 16:53 binarydigitz01 via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: binarydigitz01 via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-04-05 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I recently tried to set up orderless with fido mode, but it didn't work. The maintainer of orderless helped me figure out that fido mode doesn't respect completion-style, and always sets it to flex. Can anyone explain to me why does it do that? Because I really liked it, but this is a deal breaker.

* Re: Fido mode
@ 2022-04-06 12:30 ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2022-04-06 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binarydigitz01 via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
  Cc: binarydigitz01

<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> I recently tried to set up orderless with fido mode, but it didn't
> work. The maintainer of orderless helped me figure out that fido mode
> doesn't respect completion-style, and always sets it to flex. Can
> anyone explain to me why does it do that? Because I really liked it,
> but this is a deal breaker.

From what I understand, fido-mode reproduces the behaviour of ido-mode
(hence fido -> "fake" ido I assume) using icomplete.  The difference
between ido and icomplete is that ido just remaps a few commands like
find-find-file, write-file, ... manually with commands that do
interactive narrowing and completion, while icomplete modifies the
lower-level completion system itself, without changing any specific
binding.  That means that icomplete also works for commands ido doesn't
know about (e.g. any command that uses completing-read).  What fido does
is to try and take advantage of this, while preserving the general
behaviour of ido -- that to my knowledge doesn't have anything to do
with the completion styles.

So what you might be interested in is icomplete, instead of fido.  Of
course there are also other packages on ELPA such as Vertico and Ivy
that are worth checking out too, to get a more complete picture.

--
	Philip Kaludercic

* FidoNet (was: Re: Fido mode)
@ 2022-04-08  2:31   ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-04-08  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Philip Kaludercic wrote:

> From what I understand, fido-mode reproduces the behaviour
> of ido-mode [...] hence fido -> "fake" ido [...]

Clever!

I thought it had something to do with FidoNet, which is

  a worldwide computer network that is used for communication
  between bulletin board systems (BBSes). It uses
  a store-and-forward system to exchange private (email) and
  public (forum) messages between the BBSes in the network [1]

Sounds like a/some variety of the Usenet distributed model of
data replication and propagation, which is today known as
a "federation" or federative network architecture with
redundant data

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/pimgs/comp/net-arch.png

Indeed pretty similar to

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/pimgs/comp/usenet.png

Is it client-server only there are many servers in parallel
offering the same thing?

Only I thought that was the cloud?

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FidoNet

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: FidoNet (was: Re: Fido mode)
@ 2022-04-10  4:56     ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2022-04-10  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2022-04-09 20:26]:
> Philip Kaludercic wrote:
>
> > From what I understand, fido-mode reproduces the behaviour
> > of ido-mode [...] hence fido -> "fake" ido [...]
>
> Clever!
>
> I thought it had something to do with FidoNet, which is
>
>   a worldwide computer network that is used for communication
>   between bulletin board systems (BBSes). It uses
>   a store-and-forward system to exchange private (email) and
>   public (forum) messages between the BBSes in the network [1]

I was one of peers in FidoNet for shorter time, and it was great
feeling to be able to exchange emails worldwide. At that time we did
not have access to Internet, but only BBS-es and FidoNet.

> Sounds like a/some variety of the Usenet distributed model of
> data replication and propagation, which is today known as
> a "federation" or federative network architecture with

Quite true.

I guess it still functions and it may become important backup network
when

FidoNet
https://www.fidonet.org/

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/

* Re: FidoNet
@ 2022-05-01  3:56       ` TRS-80
From: TRS-80 @ 2022-05-01  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

> * Emanuel Berg writes:
>> I thought it had something to do with FidoNet, which is
>>
>>   a worldwide computer network that is used for communication
>>   between bulletin board systems (BBSes). It uses
>>   a store-and-forward system to exchange private (email) and
>>   public (forum) messages between the BBSes in the network [1]
>
> I was one of peers in FidoNet for shorter time, and it was great
> feeling to be able to exchange emails worldwide. At that time we did
> not have access to Internet, but only BBS-es and FidoNet.

I, too, remember the good old days of FidoNet!  We are talking BBS days
here, before Internet!

In fact I was reading up on it again just the other day, and reliving
some nostalgia of mis-spent youth.  :)

>> Sounds like a/some variety of the Usenet distributed model of
>> data replication and propagation, which is today known as
>> a "federation" or federative network architecture with

Yes it started almost exactly like UUCP, with nodes calling each other
directly.  Later, like Usenet, it evolved evolved as the network grew.
In case of FidoNet, into a system of zones with a hub and spoke model
(to optimize what were, at that time, expensive long-distance calling
rates, as this was all done over modems and phone lines).

> I guess it still functions and it may become important backup network
> when

I couldn't help but to think the same thing.

It gave me some warm fuzzies to think it's still going after all these
many years.  I think I will need to fire up the telnet and log on to
some BBSes to check in, which I have not done in a very, very long time.
:)

Cheers,
TRS-80

* Re: FidoNet
@ 2022-05-01  4:35         ` Samuel Banya
From: Samuel Banya @ 2022-05-01  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg

On the same token, what are the best BBS's and Usenet groups for Emacs type stuff?

Curious for old school posts, and file FTP sites related to that side of Emacs.

Even workflows on how everyone accesses BBS's, even if its through Emacs would be cool too.

Thanks,

Sam