On Tue, Mar 15, 2022 at 09:58:25AM +0300, Jean Louis wrote: [...] > I am trying to understand: > > - what is user option? Small extract from the Fine Emacs Lisp manual: 15.3 Defining Customization Variables ===================================== “Customizable variables”, also called “user options”, are global Lisp variables whose values can be set through the Customize interface. Unlike other global variables, which are defined with ‘defvar’ (*note Defining Variables::), customizable variables are defined using the ‘defcustom’ macro. In addition to calling ‘defvar’ as a subroutine, ‘defcustom’ states how the variable should be displayed in the Customize interface, the values it is allowed to take, etc. (C-h i is your friend there). > - you probably mean a variable that cannot be customized by M-x customize? > > - because every Emacs variable is user option for me, anything can be > customized; I do not know if there are any static variables that > cannot be changed, probably. You can, of course, make up your own terminology. But this might make communication wit others... interesting :) Cheers -- t