all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to run function on sort within tabulated-list-mode?
@ 2022-02-04  6:11 Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2022-02-04  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help GNU Emacs

I am heavy user of tabulated-list-mode and have a derived mode. In the
derived mode I make sure that some words are highlighted like "ACTION"
or "COMPLETED".

The tabulated-list-mode has several columns. When I click on a column
to sort the list by the column the highlighting disappears.

Does the hook run after sorting? I have tried adding function to my
hyperscope-list-mode-hook but I don't see it works on sort.

Should it work? Is it expected to run the hook on the sorting of
tabulated-list-mode?

Is there any other way to invoke a function upon sort?

Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/

* Re: How to run function on sort within tabulated-list-mode?
@ 2022-02-04  7:03 ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-02-04  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis wrote:

> Does the hook run after sorting? I have tried adding
> function to my hyperscope-list-mode-hook but I don't see it
> works on sort.
>
> Should it work? Is it expected to run the hook on the
> sorting of tabulated-list-mode?
>
> Is there any other way to invoke a function upon sort?

New `defun' that calls `sort' as well as the extra stuff ...

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/sort-incal.el

Or `advice-add' ...

(defun help-mode-finish-after ()
  (forward-button 1) )
(advice-add #'help-mode-finish :after #'help-mode-finish-after)

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/help-incal.el

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: How to run function on sort within tabulated-list-mode?
@ 2022-02-04  8:05   ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2022-02-04  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2022-02-04 11:00]:
> (defun help-mode-finish-after ()
>   (forward-button 1) )
> (advice-add #'help-mode-finish :after #'help-mode-finish-after)

I have tried advice and is not working, so I have filed a bug.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/

* smarthelp (was: Re: How to run function on sort within tabulated-list-mode?)
@ 2022-02-04  8:44   ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-02-04  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Or `advice-add' ...
>
> (defun help-mode-finish-after ()
>   (forward-button 1) )
> (advice-add #'help-mode-finish :after #'help-mode-finish-after)
>
>   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/help-incal.el

This should be added to Emacs ...

--

@ 2022-02-04  8:57     ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-02-04  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis wrote:

>> (defun help-mode-finish-after ()
>>   (forward-button 1) )
>> (advice-add #'help-mode-finish :after #'help-mode-finish-after)
>
> I have tried advice and is not working, so I have filed
> a bug.

Okay ... don't forget to post the bug number here.

--

@ 2022-02-04 11:36 ` Tim Landscheidt
From: Tim Landscheidt @ 2022-02-04 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:

> I am heavy user of tabulated-list-mode and have a derived mode. In the
> derived mode I make sure that some words are highlighted like "ACTION"
> or "COMPLETED".

> The tabulated-list-mode has several columns. When I click on a column
> to sort the list by the column the highlighting disappears.

> Does the hook run after sorting? I have tried adding function to my
> hyperscope-list-mode-hook but I don't see it works on sort.

> Should it work? Is it expected to run the hook on the sorting of
> tabulated-list-mode?

> Is there any other way to invoke a function upon sort?

I don't know; I suspect not.

I assume the expected way to achieve highlighting words
would be to fill tabulated-list-entries with a propertized
string à la:

| (propertize "ACTION" 'face 'highlight)

Tim

* Re: How to run function on sort within tabulated-list-mode?
@ 2022-02-04 12:23   ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2022-02-04 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Landscheidt; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Tim Landscheidt <tim@tim-landscheidt.de> [2022-02-04 14:38]:
> I don't know; I suspect not.

> I assume the expected way to achieve highlighting words
> would be to fill tabulated-list-entries with a propertized
> string à la:
>
> | (propertize "ACTION" 'face 'highlight)

That would  be too  much of  a work.  I think  highlight-regexp should
work, but we will see.

bug#53771

--

@ 2022-02-05  3:37     ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-02-05  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis wrote:

> bug#53771

Thanks but ... not in gmane.emacs.bugs what I can see?

But I see a lot of _you_ there, good that you are so active ...

Some video material from my trip to Uganda in 2002:

  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GA3yFM22ao