On Sun, Jan 09, 2022 at 05:37:49PM +0100, fatiparty--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote: [...] > I have difficulty about the utility of 'provide'.  You have pointed out that (provide 'daph) > simply announces that daph is a feature of the current emacs.  Can it be any name?  The > manual states that "calling 'provide' adds 'feature' tothe front of 'features' if it is not already > in that list".  This suggests that provide should also use  (provide 'daph-ideograms).  That depends on how you want to call your feature. Note that once a feature is `provide'd, a `require' of that feature does nothing. Quoting from the docs: require is a built-in function in ‘C source code’. (require FEATURE &optional FILENAME NOERROR) If feature FEATURE is not loaded, load it from FILENAME. If FEATURE is not a member of the list ‘features’, then the feature is not loaded; so load the file FILENAME. > I guess that one could define the feature as 'daph' when using 'provide'.  And use the feature 'daph' > when calling 'require'.  In this way, the 'daph' will be recognise the 'daph' feature in the features variable, > but use the optional filename "daph-ideograms" Yes, that'd be a way to do it (in theory you could have one file providing several features, for example). > Thus > > daph-ideograms.el > ********************** >   (provide 'daph) > > test.el > ******* >   (add-to-list >       'load-path "~/Admin/bin/gadi-1.0/typex/ziggurat-protowrit/daph-ideograms") >    ;; Load the Daph Package if it has not already been loaded. >    (require 'daph "daph-ideograms") > > -------- > > My load path is quite long, and wonder how this can be shortened by storing in some other variable > before passing to 'add-to-list'. I don't quite understand your last sentence. What is it you are trying to shorten -- and how? Cheers -- t