On Thu, Dec 16, 2021 at 09:13:19AM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote: [...] > > Since a few years ago Gcc improved after painfully breaking old > > constraints, pressured by the new competitor, but I'm afraid that it > > will be too little, too late. Linux compiles with Clang, and that's a > > very worrying signal for Gcc, because if certain distributions migrate > > to Clang, Gcc development will be over. > > That rings a bell: it's what I heard 20 years ago about XEmacs vs GNU > Emacs when I talked (in person) to its main developers. The rest is > history. I think it is still relevant. Big corps have learnt to ride the waves since then. Watch Microsoft "being friendly" to "open source" to the tune of $ 7 billion (if I remember correctly) they shelled out for Github (they didn't out of the goodness and warmth of their hearts: I, at least, don't believe in fairy tales). Watch Google (before that) editing out the "do no evil" while nobody seemed to be looking. They still want some kind of user [1] control, but they know they can't be as ham-fisted as they used to be in the '8ies and '90ies. The question is wheter to agree or disagree with this "new" user control patterns. Personally I don't, but I don't yet know the FSF's position on that. Cheers [1] how is the return on investment to be secured, otherwise? -- t