On Wed, Dec 15, 2021 at 11:41:07PM -0500, Richard Stallman wrote: > [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider ]]] > [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies, ]]] > [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]] > > Thanks for sending me the LD_PRELOAD info. > > LD_PRELOAD seems to be a user customization facility, It definitely is: for the user/sysadmin. Much akin to advice in the Emacs world. Releasing packages which make use of it has a confusion potential and should be avoided, unless that is their specific purpose (example: apulse makes use of LD_PRELOAD to make applications think they are talking to pulseaudio, whereas the user only has ALSA available [1], but that is its stated intention; another good example is faketime, which uses LD_PRELOAD to intercept system calls to control the date/time an application "sees" -- be it for testing or for reproducible builds). Definitely not a thing which should happen without the user's knowledge: she'll be confronted with difficult-to-debug situations otherwise. > not well suited to releasing modified versions of programs. Absolutely. > So I think it is not significant for the question of sqlite3 modules. Strong agreement here. Cheers -- tomás