all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Text placed within a specific length width
@ 2024-06-30 12:11 Heime
From: Heime @ 2024-06-30 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

I have added text in a named buffer using insert.

(insert " Line Wrap     ")
(insert " Karl Koch     ")
(insert " Microsk Spez  ")

I would like to have an elisp function that inserts text inside a a string
of a specific size to avoid having to introduce leading or trailing spaces.

Thus something like this for text of width 15

(insert-w "Line Wrap" 15)
(insert-w "Karl Koch" 15)
(insert-w "Microsk Spez" 15)

* Re: Text placed within a specific length width
@ 2024-06-30 13:53 ` Jordan Wilson via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Jordan Wilson via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2024-06-30 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2024-06-30 (Sun) at 12:11 (+0000), Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to have an elisp function that inserts text inside a a string
> of a specific size to avoid having to introduce leading or trailing spaces.

> Thus something like this for text of width 15
> (insert-w "Line Wrap" 15)
> (insert-w "Karl Koch" 15)
> (insert-w "Microsk Spez" 15)

`string-pad' pads a string to particular length:
        (string-pad "Karl Koch" 15)
returns
        "Karl Koch      "

See describe-function for details

Thanks,
Jordan Wilson
    Sent from Gnus v5.13, GNU Emacs 29.4 on GNU/LINUX

* Re: Text placed within a specific length width
@ 2024-06-30 14:12   ` Heime
From: Heime @ 2024-06-30 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Jordan Wilson; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sunday, June 30th, 2024 at 1:53 PM, Jordan Wilson via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> wrote:

> On 2024-06-30 (Sun) at 12:11 (+0000), Heime heimeborgia@protonmail.com wrote:
>
> > I would like to have an elisp function that inserts text inside a a string
> > of a specific size to avoid having to introduce leading or trailing spaces.
>
> > Thus something like this for text of width 15
> > (insert-w "Line Wrap" 15)
> > (insert-w "Karl Koch" 15)
> > (insert-w "Microsk Spez" 15)
>

> `string-pad' pads a string to particular length:
> (string-pad "Karl Koch" 15)
> returns
> "Karl Koch "
>
> See describe-function for details
>
> Thanks,
> Jordan Wilson
> Sent from Gnus v5.13, GNU Emacs 29.4 on GNU/LINUX

I can pad at back.  Is there other tool to pad at front ?

* Re: Text placed within a specific length width
@ 2024-06-30 14:15     ` Jordan Wilson via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Jordan Wilson via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2024-06-30 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2024-06-30 (Sun) at 14:12 (+0000), Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com> wrote:
> I can pad at back.  Is there other tool to pad at front ?

(string-pad STRING LENGTH &optional PADDING START)

You can use the argument "START"

(string-pad "Test" 15 nil t)
returns
"           Test"