all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to have a variable always set for emacs --debug-init
@ 2021-06-28 13:57 Y. E.
From: Y. E. @ 2021-06-28 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I use Emacs 28.0.50 and have (setq bookmark-fontify nil)
in my init.el file.
When I load emacs with --debug-init option, that setting is,
of course, neglected.
How can I specify some setting(s) to be always force-set,
even on emacs --debug-init load? (other than changing the
variable(s) in the source.)
I hope there's some simple and usable approach.

I also sent a request here:
to disable bookmark-fontify by default, but that's a separate
question.

Thanks,
YE

* Re: How to have a variable always set for emacs --debug-init
@ 2021-06-28 15:00 ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2021-06-28 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Y. E.; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Y. E. <yugenekr@gmail.com> [2021-06-28 17:19]:
> Hello,
>
> I use Emacs 28.0.50 and have (setq bookmark-fontify nil)
> in my init.el file.
> When I load emacs with --debug-init option, that setting is,
> of course, neglected.

--debug-init is for debugging on what is going on during the
  startup. Otherwise it will load the settings.

If you wish to set bookmark-fontify to nil just use customize feature:

M-x customize-variable RET bookmark-fontify RET

and set it to nil, save it for future session, done.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/

* Re: How to have a variable always set for emacs --debug-init
@ 2021-06-28 15:10 ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2021-06-28 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Y. E.; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

"Y. E." <yugenekr@gmail.com> writes:

> I use Emacs 28.0.50 and have (setq bookmark-fontify nil)
> in my init.el file.
> When I load emacs with --debug-init option, that setting is,
> of course, neglected.
> How can I specify some setting(s) to be always force-set,
> even on emacs --debug-init load? (other than changing the
> variable(s) in the source.)
> I hope there's some simple and usable approach.

--debug-init should not affect the setting of variables on init.el or
other initialization files, it is just a debug aid.

Maybe you intended to say -q (or -Q). For -q, site-start.el is still
loaded (see the info node "The Emacs initialization file" for details).

For -Q, you are out of luck: other than dumping or building your own
Emacs with the value of that variable changed, AFAIK it is not possible.

* Re: How to have a variable always set for emacs --debug-init
@ 2021-06-28 15:24 ` Arthur Miller
From: Arthur Miller @ 2021-06-28 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Y. E.; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

"Y. E." <yugenekr@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I use Emacs 28.0.50 and have (setq bookmark-fontify nil)
> in my init.el file.
> When I load emacs with --debug-init option, that setting is,
> of course, neglected.
No, it shouldn't be. Unless you have started Emacs wiht -Q option you
init file should be read normally. Check if error in your init file
occured somewhere before that line, and Emacs aborted loading your
file.

* Re: How to have a variable always set for emacs --debug-init
@ 2021-06-28 15:31   ` Y. E.
From: Y. E. @ 2021-06-28 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Óscar Fuentes; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thank you!

You've shown me the right way to think about it:
I can just put this setting to the earliest loaded init-file,
so any later met errors won't prevent the setting from
load.
So yes, that's not --debug-init issue as I wrongly thought.

That was my first message here, so I'll go now to look for
some instructions on how to mark/close resolved questions.

Thanks again to all.

@ 2021-06-28 16:59     ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2021-06-28 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Y. E.; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

"Y. E." <yugenekr@gmail.com> writes:

> Thank you!

You are welcome.

> You've shown me the right way to think about it:
> I can just put this setting to the earliest loaded init-file,
> so any later met errors won't prevent the setting from
> load.
> So yes, that's not --debug-init issue as I wrongly thought.

So you're having problems with your initialization files and wished to
ensure that that variable was always set regardless. Yes, putting the
setting at the start of your initialization file should do the trick.

> That was my first message here, so I'll go now to look for
> some instructions on how to mark/close resolved questions.

This is just a mailing list, not a bug reporting system, there is no
method for marking questions as resolved.

Debbugs (the Emacs bug reporting system) is a different thing, as it is
mixture of a mailing list and a database and it allows for bugs to be
closed, no wonder that you are confused.

* Re: How to have a variable always set for emacs --debug-init
@ 2021-06-28 18:57       ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2021-06-28 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Óscar Fuentes; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Y. E.

* Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> [2021-06-28 20:01]:
> This is just a mailing list, not a bug reporting system, there is no
> method for marking questions as resolved.

One can mark it free hand like [solved] in the subject, at least we
know it is solved for the poster.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/

* Re: How to have a variable always set for emacs --debug-init [solved]
@ 2021-06-29  7:35         ` Yuzhana Ego
From: Yuzhana Ego @ 2021-06-29  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: Óscar Fuentes, help-gnu-emacs

> One can mark it free hand like [solved] in the
> subject, at least we
> know it is solved for the poster.

Thanks for the suggestion.
It seemed to me mailing lists matched threads by the subject,
so I expected it might break threading.

And yes, it was a bit confusing - for a me-noob :) - having instructions on how to open/close debbugs threads, but not finding anything related for other lists.
(Maybe there’s some  place describing basic mailing-lists guidelines for newcomers but I didn’t find a one.)

Have a nice day!
YE

* Re: How to have a variable always set for emacs --debug-init [solved]
@ 2021-06-29 10:03           ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2021-06-29 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuzhana Ego; +Cc: Óscar Fuentes, help-gnu-emacs

* Yuzhana Ego <yugenekr@gmail.com> [2021-06-29 10:36]:
> > One can mark it free hand like [solved] in the
> > subject, at least we
> > know it is solved for the poster.
>

> Thanks for the suggestion.  It seemed to me mailing lists matched
> threads by the subject, so I expected it might break threading.

Threads are constructed by using Message-IDs in the headers, and
depend largely on users' software. It is not centrally maintained like
a forum, so they can break unintentionally as well.

> (Maybe there’s some  place describing basic mailing-lists guidelines
> for newcomers but I didn’t find a one.)

There is no general rule that I know.

--

@ 2021-06-29 13:07             ` Y. E.