all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Delete emails of my Gmail account which doesn't relevant to me.
@ 2021-06-27  4:28 Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-06-27  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Currently, I've so many emails in the Inbox of Gmail account, around
263821 entries. I want to efficiently delete the ones which doesn't
relevant to me, i.e., not include my email address in the
From/To/CC/BCC fileds. Can I do this job with Emacs?

Regards
Theory and Simulation of Materials
NO. 552 North Gangtie Road, Xingtai, China

* Re: Delete emails of my Gmail account which doesn't relevant to me.
@ 2021-06-27  4:37 ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-06-27  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hongyi Zhao wrote:

> Currently, I've so many emails in the Inbox of Gmail
> account, around 263821 entries. I want to efficiently delete
> the ones which doesn't relevant to me, i.e., not include my
> email address in the From/To/CC/BCC fileds. Can I do this
> job with Emacs?

Yes, if your client is Emacs Gnus you can use mail splitting,
see `nnmail-split-methods', after you set that up, and there
are helpers that use can use to test if the rule would take
the article (mail) to the correct group (without actually
moving it, so you can refine until perfect), when that is done
you can do a "respool", something like this

(defun gnus-summary-respool-all ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((lines (count-lines (point-min) (point-max))))
    (goto-char (point-min))
    (gnus-summary-respool-article lines
     (gnus-find-method-for-group "nnml:mail.misc") )))

and all set :)

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: Delete emails of my Gmail account which doesn't relevant to me.
@ 2021-06-27  4:42   ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-06-27  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> (defun gnus-summary-respool-all ()
>   (interactive)
>   (let ((lines (count-lines (point-min) (point-max))))
>     (goto-char (point-min))
>     (gnus-summary-respool-article lines
>      (gnus-find-method-for-group "nnml:mail.misc") )))

Hm, this maybe a better interface ...

Tricky with optional args - interactive/non-interactive -
region/no region - that's the way it should look?

(defun gnus-summary-respool-all (&optional beg end)
  (interactive (when (use-region-p)
                 (list (region-beginning) (region-end)) ))
  (let*((b (or beg (point-min)))
        (e (or end (point-max)))
        (lines (count-lines b e)) )
    (goto-char b)

https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/gnus/summary.el

--

@ 2021-06-28  6:35 ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2021-06-28  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hongyi Zhao; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> [2021-06-27 00:29]:
> Currently, I've so many emails in the Inbox of Gmail account, around
> 263821 entries. I want to efficiently delete the ones which doesn't
> relevant to me, i.e., not include my email address in the
> From/To/CC/BCC fileds. Can I do this job with Emacs?

Mutt is powerful email client:
http://mutt.org/

Emacs is workaround for power. I have tried my best to try to switch
to Emacs but there is absolutely no speed gain personally.

Mutt is for power users. It can be used from Emacs and within Emacs in
terminal or vterm and works very well. It can be used outside and with
any editor.

With mutt you could enter the Gmail account by using IMAP and use
command T to tag messages matching something, you could use / and
search patterns to tag or find specific emails addressed to specific
person or you could use l to limit to messages matching specific
pattern.

For any email client I recommend that emails related to particular
person are saved in a single conversation related directory or
file. Emails to hongyi.zhao@example.com would be saved in maildir
$HOME/Maildir/hongyi.zhao@example.com and that makes it extremely easy
to switch to previous conversation related to that email adress.

I press ESC v in mutt to see previous conversations for that email
address.

And I recommend switching away from vendor tied spying network like
Google. Reference below.

PRISM (surveillance program)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_%28surveillance_program%29

For very small money per year you get unlimited variety of email
hosting at various hosting providers.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/

* Re: Delete emails of my Gmail account which doesn't relevant to me.
@ 2021-07-02 16:00   ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-07-02 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis wrote:

> Emacs is workaround for power. I have tried my best to try
> to switch to Emacs but there is absolutely no speed
> gain personally.

Try harder...