all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Symbol's function definition is void: mathpix-app-id
@ 2021-06-09  8:39 Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-06-09  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I try to test the mathpix.el package located at
<https://github.com/jethrokuan/mathpix.el>, using Emacs git master
version on Ubuntu 20.04 with the following methods:

# Clone the github repo:
$ cd .emacs.d/elpa
$ git clone https://github.com/jethrokuan/mathpix.el.git mathpix.el.git

Add the following code snippet into ~/.emacs.d/init.el:

(load-file "~/.emacs.d/elpa/mathpix.el.git/mathpix.el")
(mathpix-app-id "app_id")
(mathpix-app-key "app_key")

Start Emacs and run the following command to do the test:

"M-x mathpix-screenshot RET"

Then I meet the following error:

Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading
‘/home/apollo/.emacs.d/init.el’:

Symbol's function definition is void: mathpix-app-id

To ensure normal operation, you should investigate and remove the
cause of the error in your initialization file.  Start Emacs with
the ‘--debug-init’ option to view a complete error backtrace. Disable
showing Disable logging

Any hints for fixing this problem?

Regards
Theory and Simulation of Materials
NO. 552 North Gangtie Road, Xingtai, China

* Re: Symbol's function definition is void: mathpix-app-id
@ 2021-06-09  8:53 ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2021-06-09  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hongyi Zhao; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> [2021-06-09 11:40]:
> I try to test the mathpix.el package located at
> <https://github.com/jethrokuan/mathpix.el>, using Emacs git master
> version on Ubuntu 20.04 with the following methods:
>
> # Clone the github repo:
> $ cd .emacs.d/elpa
> $ git clone https://github.com/jethrokuan/mathpix.el.git mathpix.el.git
>
> Add the following code snippet into ~/.emacs.d/init.el:
>
> (load-file "~/.emacs.d/elpa/mathpix.el.git/mathpix.el")
> (mathpix-app-id "app_id")
> (mathpix-app-key "app_key")
>
> Start Emacs and run the following command to do the test:
>
> "M-x mathpix-screenshot RET"
>
> Then I meet the following error:
>
> Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading
> ‘/home/apollo/.emacs.d/init.el’:
>
> Symbol's function definition is void: mathpix-app-id
>
> To ensure normal operation, you should investigate and remove the
> cause of the error in your initialization file.  Start Emacs with
> the ‘--debug-init’ option to view a complete error backtrace. Disable
> showing Disable logging

(load-file "~/.emacs.d/elpa/mathpix.el.git/mathpix.el")
(mathpix-app-id "app_id")
(mathpix-app-key "app_key")

At first place in a list within parenthesis comes the instruction on
what to do with the list:

Recommended is to evaluate the below:
(info "(eintr) Run a Program")

As in this case `mathpix-app-id' should be instruction to evaluate
something. That instruction is defined as a function usually.

(mathpix-app-id "app_id")

Because the function `mathpix-app-pid' does not exist, there is error.

Instead, what you need most probably is:

(setq mathpix-app-id "app_id")

as then the instruction `set' or "Set quoted" means to assign the
value "app_id" to variable `mathpix-app-id'.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/

* Re: Symbol's function definition is void: mathpix-app-id
@ 2021-06-09  9:21   ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-06-09  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hongyi Zhao, help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Jun 9, 2021 at 4:56 PM Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:

> * Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> [2021-06-09 11:40]:
> > I try to test the mathpix.el package located at
> > <https://github.com/jethrokuan/mathpix.el>, using Emacs git master
> > version on Ubuntu 20.04 with the following methods:
> >
> > # Clone the github repo:
> > $ cd .emacs.d/elpa
> > $ git clone https://github.com/jethrokuan/mathpix.el.git mathpix.el.git
> >
> > Add the following code snippet into ~/.emacs.d/init.el:
> >
> > (load-file "~/.emacs.d/elpa/mathpix.el.git/mathpix.el")
> > (mathpix-app-id "app_id")
> > (mathpix-app-key "app_key")
> >
> > Start Emacs and run the following command to do the test:
> >
> > "M-x mathpix-screenshot RET"
> >
> > Then I meet the following error:
> >
> > Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading
> > ‘/home/apollo/.emacs.d/init.el’:
> >
> > Symbol's function definition is void: mathpix-app-id
> >
> > To ensure normal operation, you should investigate and remove the
> > cause of the error in your initialization file.  Start Emacs with
> > the ‘--debug-init’ option to view a complete error backtrace. Disable
> > showing Disable logging
>
> (load-file "~/.emacs.d/elpa/mathpix.el.git/mathpix.el")
> (mathpix-app-id "app_id")
> (mathpix-app-key "app_key")
>
> At first place in a list within parenthesis comes the instruction on
> what to do with the list:
>
> Recommended is to evaluate the below:
> (info "(eintr) Run a Program")
>
> As in this case `mathpix-app-id' should be instruction to evaluate
> something. That instruction is defined as a function usually.
>
> (mathpix-app-id "app_id")
>
> Because the function `mathpix-app-pid' does not exist, there is error.
>
> Instead, what you need most probably is:
>
> (setq mathpix-app-id "app_id")
>
> as then the instruction `set' or "Set quoted" means to assign the
> value "app_id" to variable `mathpix-app-id'.

According to your above comment, I adopt with the following settings:

(load-file "~/.emacs.d/elpa/mathpix.el.git/mathpix.el")
(setq mathpix-app-id "my_app_id")
(setq mathpix-app-key "my_app_key")

But I still can't do the conversion successfully and will meet the
following info in the *Messages* buffer:

Public/repo/github.com/jwiegley/use-package.git/bind-key.el: Warning:
Use keywords rather than deprecated positional arguments to
`define-minor-mode'
.emacs.d/init.el: Warning: (lambda nil \.\.\.) quoted with ' rather than with #'
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Content not found [2 times]

@ 2021-06-09 11:03     ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2021-06-09 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hongyi Zhao; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> [2021-06-09 12:22]:
> On Wed, Jun 9, 2021 at 4:56 PM Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:
> >
> > * Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> [2021-06-09 11:40]:
> > > I try to test the mathpix.el package located at
> > > <https://github.com/jethrokuan/mathpix.el>, using Emacs git master
> > > version on Ubuntu 20.04 with the following methods:

File the issue there, as the software is proprietary by default, even
it is not possible to make proprietary Emacs extensions, so the
software has to be first licensed by GPL3+ or compatible license.

Otherwise I cannot test it until that issue is solved as I don't want
to deal with proprietary software.