all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Autocompletion for partially typesetted stuff in auctex.
@ 2021-06-08  4:40 Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-06-08  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

The following description is an excerpt from
<https://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/features.html>:

  There is a completion mechanism for partially written macros
available as well.

But I want to know if it can help to complete the commands/macro names
defined in any packages called in the preamble of the current project
documents.

Any hints will be highly appreciated.

Regards
Theory and Simulation of Materials
NO. 552 North Gangtie Road, Xingtai, China

* Re: Autocompletion for partially typesetted stuff in auctex.
@ 2021-06-08  7:18 ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2021-06-08  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hongyi Zhao; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> [2021-06-08 07:41]:
> The following description is an excerpt from
> <https://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/features.html>:
>
>   There is a completion mechanism for partially written macros
> available as well.
>
> But I want to know if it can help to complete the commands/macro names
> defined in any packages called in the preamble of the current project
> documents.
>
> Any hints will be highly appreciated.

Try M-x pabbrev-mode

It will capture words in many buffers and use such for completion.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/

* Re: Autocompletion for partially typesetted stuff in auctex.
@ 2021-06-08  8:17   ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-06-08  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hongyi Zhao, help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 3:21 PM Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:

> * Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> [2021-06-08 07:41]:
> > The following description is an excerpt from
> > <https://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/features.html>:
> >
> >   There is a completion mechanism for partially written macros
> > available as well.
> >
> > But I want to know if it can help to complete the commands/macro names
> > defined in any packages called in the preamble of the current project
> > documents.
> >
> > Any hints will be highly appreciated.
>
> Try M-x pabbrev-mode
>
> It will capture words in many buffers and use such for completion.

If I type a command used in the TeX document for the first time, in
this case, it does not appear in any buffers, but only in LaTeX
package definition files. I don't know if your above-mentioned method
applies to this situation also.

@ 2021-06-08 14:29     ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2021-06-08 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hongyi Zhao; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> [2021-06-08 11:18]:
> If I type a command used in the TeX document for the first time, in
> this case, it does not appear in any buffers, but only in LaTeX
> package definition files. I don't know if your above-mentioned method
> applies to this situation also.

I cannot know, what I know is that it applies in almost any buffer. I
just use TAB so much more to complete.

--

@ 2021-06-08 15:42       ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-06-08 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hongyi Zhao, help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 10:31 PM Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:

> * Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> [2021-06-08 11:18]:
> > If I type a command used in the TeX document for the first time, in
> > this case, it does not appear in any buffers, but only in LaTeX
> > package definition files. I don't know if your above-mentioned method
> > applies to this situation also.
>
> I cannot know, what I know is that it applies in almost any buffer. I
> just use TAB so much more to complete.

I rechecked its documentation located at here
<https://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/manual/auctex.pdf>, and it seems
that it really can do the thing I mentioned above and even more can be
done. Below are some relevant descriptions:

<quote>
5.3 Automatic Parsing of TEX Files
[...]
TeX-parse-self Parse file after loading it if no style hook is found
for it. [User Option]
TeX-auto-save Automatically save style information when saving the
buffer. [User Option]
[...]
;; Only parse LaTeX class and package information.
(setq-default TeX-auto-regexp-list ’LaTeX-auto-minimal-regexp-list)
;; The class and package information is usually near the beginning.
(setq-default TeX-auto-parse-length 2000)
</quote>

@ 2021-06-12  3:07     ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2021-06-12  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hongyi Zhao; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> [2021-06-08 11:18]:
> On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 3:21 PM Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:
> >
> > * Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> [2021-06-08 07:41]:
> > > The following description is an excerpt from
> > > <https://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/features.html>:
> > >
> > >   There is a completion mechanism for partially written macros
> > > available as well.
> > >
> > > But I want to know if it can help to complete the commands/macro names
> > > defined in any packages called in the preamble of the current project
> > > documents.
> > >
> > > Any hints will be highly appreciated.
> >
> > Try M-x pabbrev-mode
> >
> > It will capture words in many buffers and use such for completion.
>
> If I type a command used in the TeX document for the first time, in
> this case, it does not appear in any buffers, but only in LaTeX
> package definition files. I don't know if your above-mentioned method
> applies to this situation also.

Please see Emacs package `auctex' and the manual section below:
(info "(auctex) Completion")

As that will give you wanted completion.

Do you use `auctex'?

--

@ 2021-06-12  8:14       ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-06-12  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hongyi Zhao, help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, Jun 12, 2021 at 11:41 AM Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:

> * Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> [2021-06-08 11:18]:
> > On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 3:21 PM Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:
> > >
> > > * Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> [2021-06-08 07:41]:

> > > Try M-x pabbrev-mode
> > >
> > > It will capture words in many buffers and use such for completion.
> >
> > If I type a command used in the TeX document for the first time, in
> > this case, it does not appear in any buffers, but only in LaTeX
> > package definition files. I don't know if your above-mentioned method
> > applies to this situation also.
>
> Please see Emacs package `auctex' and the manual section below:
> (info "(auctex) Completion")
>
> As that will give you wanted completion.
>
> Do you use `auctex'?

I just plain to switch from other TeX editors currently used by me,
say, `TeXstudio', to `auctex'.