all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* subheadings for elisp files
@ 2021-05-23 17:31 wael-zwaiter
From: wael-zwaiter @ 2021-05-23 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help Gnu Emacs

Is there a way to have subheadings in elisp code.

* Re: subheadings for elisp files
@ 2021-05-23 19:16 ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2021-05-23 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wael-zwaiter; +Cc: Help Gnu Emacs

* wael-zwaiter@gmx.com <wael-zwaiter@gmx.com> [2021-05-23 20:33]:
> Is there a way to have subheadings in elisp code.

Is it like outline heading related?

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

https://stallmansupport.org/

* subheadings for elisp files
@ 2021-05-23 19:42   ` wael-zwaiter
From: Jean Louis @ 2021-05-23 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wael-zwaiter; +Cc: Help Gnu Emacs

* wael-zwaiter@gmx.com <wael-zwaiter@gmx.com> [2021-05-23 22:44]:
> > Is it like outline heading related?
>
> Yes.  I tried to search for some information but did not find.

I use this settings as I like to have this below as header:

;;;; ↝

;;; Directory Local Variables
;;; For more information see (info "(emacs) Directory Variables")

((emacs-lisp-mode . ((outline-heading-alist . '((";;;; ↝" . 2))))))

Then I have this customization:

Hide Outline Minor Mode Cycle: Boolean: Toggle  on (non-nil)
    State : SAVED and set.
   Enable cycling of headings in ‘outline-minor-mode’. More

Hide Outline Minor Mode Highlight: Choice: Value Menu Append outline faces to major mode faces
    State : SAVED and set.
   Highlight headings in ‘outline-minor-mode’ using font-lock keywords. More

Hide Outline Minor Mode Prefix: Key sequence: C-c C-d

Then it works to press TAB and cycle and I have somewhat easer prefix
C-c C-d

It should work, just define your heading, please see:

{C-h v outline-heading-alist RET} if you wish to customize headings. I
have placed it in .dir-locals directory

The Power of Outline Minor Mode for Emacs
https://hyperscope.link/3/7/2/7/9/The-Power-of-Outline-Minor-Mode-for-Emacs-37279.html

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

https://stallmansupport.org/

* Elisp headers (was: Re: subheadings for elisp files)
@ 2021-05-23 21:16       ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-05-23 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis wrote:

>>> Is it like outline heading related?
>>
>> Yes. I tried to search for some information but did
>> not find.
>
> I use this settings as I like to have this below as header:

checkdoc is

  Interactively check the entire buffer for style errors.
  The current status of the check will be displayed in
  a buffer which the users will view as each check
  is completed.

So why it doesn't report on previous errors that are not
cosmetic but literally brakes installation attempts using
Emacs own facilities (which were unknown to me) I don't know,
but maybe you Jean can write a `verify-header' function to do
it, then they can add it to checkdoc if they fancy it, if not
we can just use it anyway :)

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-packs
  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/fps/

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: Elisp headers (was: Re: subheadings for elisp files)
@ 2021-05-23 21:38         ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2021-05-23 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2021-05-24 00:17]:

> >> Yes. I tried to search for some information but did
> >> not find.
> >
> > I use this settings as I like to have this below as header:
>
> checkdoc is
>
>   Interactively check the entire buffer for style errors.
>   The current status of the check will be displayed in
>   a buffer which the users will view as each check
>   is completed.
>
> So why it doesn't report on previous errors that are not
> cosmetic but literally brakes installation attempts using
> Emacs own facilities (which were unknown to me) I don't know,
> but maybe you Jean can write a `verify-header' function to do
> it, then they can add it to checkdoc if they fancy it, if not
> we can just use it anyway :)
>
>   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-packs
>   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/fps/

My opinion is that Emacs is just fine. And I have the workflow. Some
programs are in separate files, some are within same file, sometimes
functions from one file go out of it and become separate file. When
file is usable as an installed package even without my personal
environment, then it may become a package.

Helpful workflow for preparation of packages:

1. Enable lexical-binding = t, with:
   {M-x add-file-local-variable-prop-line RET lexical-binding RET t RET}
   even in cases that you wish to have a package without lexical
   binding. Compiler warnings will help you find errors. Later you may
   remove it if really necessary. In majority of cases it should stay
   with lexical binding;

2. M-x emacs-list-byte-compile, then clear any errors you may find;
   repeat this step until there are no errors:

3. M-x checkdoc-current-buffer and repeat it until the documentation
   strings and style are cleared;

4. Invoke M-x package-header for licensing and packaging purposes;

5. M-x package-install-from-buffer or M-x package-install-file may
   detect issues previously not detected; solve each problem until
   there are really no errors; sometimes errors shall remain there as
   they serve the development process;

6. After that should follow same installation of a package and
   verifications for Emacs stable versions;

7. Once fully error free, your package may be ready for public
distribution.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

https://stallmansupport.org/

* Re: Elisp headers (was: Re: subheadings for elisp files)
@ 2021-05-23 21:59           ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-05-23 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis wrote:

> 2. M-x emacs-list-byte-compile

No match.

> 3. M-x checkdoc-current-buffer and repeat it until the
>    documentation strings and style are cleared;

Yes, OK.

> 4. Invoke M-x package-header for licensing and packaging
> purposes;

No match.

> 5. M-x package-install-from-buffer or M-x
>    package-install-file may detect issues previously not
>    detected; solve each problem until there are really no
>    errors; sometimes errors shall remain there as they serve
>    the development process;

OK * 2.

--

@ 2021-05-24  3:48           ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-05-24  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis wrote:

> 5. M-x package-install-from-buffer or M-x
>    package-install-file may detect issues previously not
>    detected; solve each problem until there are really no
>    errors; sometimes errors shall remain there as they serve
>    the development process;

Let's just include stuff that reads the code and presents
its outcome. Stuff that install as well, that gets too out of
hand too fast.

--

@ 2021-05-24  6:13             ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2021-05-24  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2021-05-24 01:01]:
> Jean Louis wrote:
>
> > 2. M-x emacs-list-byte-compile
>
> No match.

emacs-lisp-byte-compile

> > 4. Invoke M-x package-header for licensing and packaging
> > purposes;
>
> No match.

My package I gave you last time. I don't like writing those things by
hand.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns