I've run into this bug after upgrading from Emacs 27.1 to 27.2, rebuilt Emacs with debug symbols and managed to chase it down to a line in xdisp.c dereferencing a null pointer today. Running `git blame` pointed me towards this thread. While the bug has been fixed on master and it's rather tricky to reproduce (it involves at least one third party package for me and typing a long line at the end of the window that then wraps around), I'd be inclined to call 27.2 more than just a bugfix release due to the xdisp.c change introducing this bug. Is there a chance that a patch can be published for the 27.2 release for downstream maintainers?