all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Rmail with movemail.
@ 2021-05-02 22:29 Alexandros Prekates
From: Alexandros Prekates @ 2021-05-02 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help GNU Emacs

I cant make Mailutils movemail to work with my imap remote mailbox.

Can Rmail use other alternatives , eg : fetchmail ?

Alexandros

* Re: Rmail with movemail.
@ 2021-05-02 23:19 ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2021-05-02 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandros Prekates; +Cc: Help GNU Emacs

* Alexandros Prekates <aprekates@posteo.net> [2021-05-03 01:31]:
> I cant make Mailutils movemail to work with my imap remote mailbox.
>
> Can Rmail use other alternatives , eg : fetchmail ?

Yes, it can use.

Please post your movemail settings. I will try to re-construct from
Lisp, how I use movemail:

$ timeout 10m /usr/bin/movemail -m v 'imaps://USERNAME:PASSWORD@IMAP.EXAMPLE.COM:994/INBOX' "~/Maildir/"

Is that how you use it?

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

https://stallmansupport.org/
https://rms-support-letter.github.io/

* Re: Rmail with movemail.
@ 2021-05-02 23:47 ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-05-02 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Alexandros Prekates wrote:

> I cant make Mailutils movemail to work with my imap
> remote mailbox.
>
> Can Rmail use other alternatives , eg : fetchmail ?

Don't know, the only reference to Fetchmail I found is this

  https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/UsingProcmailWithGnus

which is Gnus anyway and not Rmail.

More on IMAP with Gnus:

  http://www.gnus.org/manual/gnus_83.html

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: Rmail with movemail.
@ 2021-05-03 10:14   ` Alexandros Prekates
       [not found]     ` <YI/SqbVXkJmu7Opk@protected.localdomain>
From: Alexandros Prekates @ 2021-05-03 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: Help GNU Emacs

On Mon, 3 May 2021 02:19:47 +0300
Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:

> * Alexandros Prekates <aprekates@posteo.net> [2021-05-03 01:31]:
> > I cant make Mailutils movemail to work with my imap remote mailbox.
> >
> > Can Rmail use other alternatives , eg : fetchmail ?
>
> Yes, it can use.
>
> Please post your movemail settings. I will try to re-construct from
> Lisp, how I use movemail:
>
> $ timeout 10m /usr/bin/movemail -m v
> 'imaps://USERNAME:PASSWORD@IMAP.EXAMPLE.COM:994/INBOX' "~/Maildir/"
>
> Is that how you use it?

Posteo gives:
incoming mail server (IMAP):
With STARTTLS using port 143, or
with SSL/TLS encryption using port 993

$ cd ~
$ mkdir -p ~/mailFromMovemail/{cur,new,tmp}

I have tried:

$  movemail -m -vv  \
   'imaps://foo:***@posteo.eu:993/INBOX' \
   "~/mailFromMovemail"

I tried to add my full username but i read that
instead of foo@posteo.eu i should use foo%40posteo.eu

$ movemail --debug-level='mailbox.prot' -p -vvv \
 'imaps://foo%40posteo.eu:***@posteo.de:993/INBOX' \
   "~/mailFromMovemail"
movemail: Reading user ticket file /home/chomwitt/.mu-tickets
movemail: Retrieved and set ticket: 0
movemail: opening mailbox imaps://foo%40posteo.eu@posteo.de:993/INBOX
movemail: mailbox `imaps://foo%40posteo.eu@posteo.de:993/INBOX':
cannot open: Input/output error

and if i try imap and not imaps.

$ timeout 10m movemail --debug-level='mailbox.prot'  -p -vvv \
  'imap://foo%40posteo.eu:***s@posteo.de/INBOX' \
    "~/mailFromMovemail"
movemail: Reading user ticket file /home/chomwitt/.mu-tickets
movemail: Retrieved and set ticket: 0
movemail: opening mailbox imap://foo%40posteo.eu:***@posteo.de/INBOX
movemail: S: * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR
LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE STARTTLS LOGINDISABLED] Dovecot ready.
movemail: C: 01 CAPABILITY
movemail: S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID
ENABLE IDLE STARTTLS LOGINDISABLED
movemail: S: 01 OK Pre-login capabilities listed, post-login
capabilities have more.
movemail: C: 02 STARTTLS
movemail: S: 02 OK Begin TLS negotiation now.
movemail: C: 03 CAPABILITY
movemail: mailbox `imap://foo%40posteo.eu:***@posteo.de/INBOX':
cannot open: Authentication failed

* Re: Rmail with movemail.
@ 2021-05-03 11:14     ` Jean Louis
       [not found]     ` <YI/SqbVXkJmu7Opk@protected.localdomain>
From: Jean Louis @ 2021-05-03 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandros Prekates; +Cc: Help GNU Emacs

* Alexandros Prekates <aprekates@posteo.net> [2021-05-03 13:14]:
> Posteo gives:
> incoming mail server (IMAP):
> With STARTTLS using port 143, or
> with SSL/TLS encryption using port 993

We may solve it on GNU Mailutils mailing list... let us see what
Sergey, author, thinks about it.

--

@ 2021-05-05 10:42       ` Alexandros Prekates
From: Alexandros Prekates @ 2021-05-05 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, bug-mailutils

On Mon, 3 May 2021 13:38:33 +0300
Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:

> It think we should ask Sergey Poznyakoff on GNU Mailutils mailing
> list, I am sending copy there.

With help from Sergey the issue was solved. To sum up for
future reference ,for anyone out there debian buster user
trying to use movemail as a mail retrieval agent to emacs,
i post the main steps:

1. I compiled mailutils 3.11.1 (debian stable has 3.5 ).
   That didnt work thought because as Sergey explained movemail used
   old libs from the 3.5 dep package.

2.  So i purged 3.5.
    Again i couldnt access the remote posteo.de mailbox with imap.

3.  Last touch:
    $ sudo apt-get install libgnutls28-dev
    And reconfigure and compile again so that mailutils have
    GNUTls support (as you can validate at the end of './configure'
    output.

And now it works.
$ movemail --debug-level='mailbox.prot'  -vvv -p
'imap://foo%40posteo.net@posteo.de'   "~/mailFromMovemail/"

ps:
(could step 2 also removed  libgnutls28-dev ?)
$ sudo apt-cache depends libgnutls28-dev
Replaces: <gnutls-dev>
    libgnutls28-dev

Anyway. Problem solved.

Alexandros.