all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* evaluate expression in scratch buffer
@ 2004-04-22 21:04 William Payne
From: William Payne @ 2004-04-22 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello, I want to evaluate the following expression:
(insert (prin1-to-string (w32-select-font)))

I read that I should evaluate it in the scratch buffer, so I typed it in
there...but what do I do to get the actual evaluation to occur?

Thanks for any replies

/ WP

* Re: evaluate expression in scratch buffer
@ 2004-04-22 21:27 ` Marco Parrone
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Marco Parrone @ 2004-04-22 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

William Payne on Thu, 22 Apr 2004 23:04:03 +0200 writes:

> Hello, I want to evaluate the following expression:
> (insert (prin1-to-string (w32-select-font)))
>
> I read that I should evaluate it in the scratch buffer, so I typed it in
> there...but what do I do to get the actual evaluation to occur?

C-h a eval RET

[Of these, the functions I find more useful are:]

(snip)
eval-buffer		      M-x eval-buffer RET
  Command: Execute the current buffer as Lisp code.
(snip)
eval-last-sexp		      C-x C-e
  Command: Evaluate sexp before point; print value in minibuffer.
(snip)
eval-region		      M-x eval-region RET
  Command: Execute the region as Lisp code.
(snip)

--
Marco Parrone (marc0) <marc0@autistici.org> [0x45070AD6]

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: evaluate expression in scratch buffer
@ 2004-04-22 22:23 ` Andrew Taylor
From: Andrew Taylor @ 2004-04-22 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

William Payne wrote:

> Hello, I want to evaluate the following expression:
> (insert (prin1-to-string (w32-select-font)))
>
> I read that I should evaluate it in the scratch buffer, so I typed it in
> there...but what do I do to get the actual evaluation to occur?

In lisp-interaction-mode (which is what the *scratch* buffer uses), C-j
is mapped to eval-print-last-sexp.  Just position the point after the
last closing parenthesis and press C-j.

--
Andrew

* Re: evaluate expression in scratch buffer
@ 2004-04-23  6:20 ` Holger Sparr
From: Holger Sparr @ 2004-04-23  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, William Payne wrote:
> Hello, I want to evaluate the following expression:
> (insert (prin1-to-string (w32-select-font)))
>
> I read that I should evaluate it in the scratch buffer, so I typed it
> in there...but what do I do to get the actual evaluation to occur?

Go to the closing parent and hit "C-j".

Holger

* Re: evaluate expression in scratch buffer
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-04-23 16:11 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-04-23 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

William Payne wrote:

> Hello, I want to evaluate the following expression:
> (insert (prin1-to-string (w32-select-font)))
>
> I read that I should evaluate it in the scratch buffer, so I typed it in
> there...but what do I do to get the actual evaluation to occur?

You can find out what special commands any buffer provides with `C-h m' and

`C-h b'.

--
Kevin Rodgers