On Fri, Feb 17, 2023 at 02:25:38PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > From: Andreas Schwab > > Cc: Po Lu , emacs-devel@gnu.org > > Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 11:02:48 +0100 > > > > On Feb 16 2023, Richard Stallman wrote: > > > > > If so, can Emacs examine it using that other way? > > > > The right way to solve the issue is to only compare the inode and device > > numbers. The other attributes (other than the type) can change any time > > for unrelated reasons, and do not define the identity of a file. > > That depends on the semantics of "files are equal". If the issue is > only whether two file names point to the same file's data, then yes, > using file-attribute-file-identifier is TRT. This is how I read `file-equal-p''s docstring [1] (coming from Lisp, I'd called it `file-eq-p', but hey :-) > But that is not the only > possible semantics of these tests. It is therefore up to the > application to decide which API to use, IMO. > > Of course, as long as the file is identified only by its name, race > condition is possible even if we only compare the inode and the device > number. Identity is always difficult in a mutable world, yes. Cheers [1] Return non-nil if files FILE1 and FILE2 name the same file. -- t