all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Authenticated SMTP with RMAIL under Windows
@ 2004-09-03  1:23 Bob Babcock
From: Bob Babcock @ 2004-09-03  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

EarthLink says that they will be switching to "Authenticated SMTP (ASMTP)"
later this year.  Can emacs rmail do this under Windows 2000?
Alternatively, is there a proxy I can put between emacs and the network to
do this?  (I've already got a spam-filtering proxy on the pop side of the
connection.)  Thanks for any info.

* Re: Authenticated SMTP with RMAIL under Windows
@ 2004-09-03  3:39 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2004-09-03  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

> EarthLink says that they will be switching to "Authenticated SMTP (ASMTP)"
> later this year.  Can emacs rmail do this under Windows 2000?
> Alternatively, is there a proxy I can put between emacs and the network to
> do this?  (I've already got a spam-filtering proxy on the pop side of the
> connection.)  Thanks for any info.

One way is to use smtpmail.el which supports SMTP AUTH and
STARTTLS.  You can find a hint in the beginning of the
lisp/mail/smtpmail.el file.  My setting for that at home is as
follows:

(setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
      '(("mail.jpl.org" 25 "yamaoka" "password")))
(setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials
      '(("mail.jpl.org" 25 nil nil)))

Unfortunately those features aren't supported by the smtpmail.el
module which is contained in the released Emacs versions, and I
don't know when the next Emacs is released.

* Re: Authenticated SMTP with RMAIL under Windows
@ 2004-09-04 16:30   ` Bob Babcock
From: Bob Babcock @ 2004-09-04 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> wrote in news:b9y4qmg9g1g.fsf@jpl.org:

> Unfortunately those features aren't supported by the smtpmail.el
> module which is contained in the released Emacs versions, and I
> don't know when the next Emacs is released.

Thanks.  I've just downloaded the latest smtpmail.el from CVS and the
latest emacs distribution.  Now to see if I can make it work...