all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Looking for spam package
@ 2003-04-16 15:06 Peter Lee
From: Peter Lee @ 2003-04-16 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm looking for a spam package for gnus 5.8.8, emacs 21.3 running on
an XP box.  I've often seen spamassassin.el mentioned around, but I
can't find anywhere to download it (it wasn't listed on any of the
lisp lists I have bookmarked and google didn't help).

I'm looking for a package that is relatively easy to set up and one
that will work on windows.  I mention OS because I'm not sure if some
of the packages rely on an external binary.

TIA.

* Re: Looking for spam package
@ 2003-04-16 15:14 ` Peter Solodov
From: Peter Solodov @ 2003-04-16 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, Peter Lee wrote:
> I'm looking for a spam package for gnus 5.8.8, emacs 21.3 running on
> an XP box.  I've often seen spamassassin.el mentioned around, but I
> can't find anywhere to download it (it wasn't listed on any of the
> lisp lists I have bookmarked and google didn't help).
>
> I'm looking for a package that is relatively easy to set up and one
> that will work on windows.  I mention OS because I'm not sure if
> some of the packages rely on an external binary.

Recent versions of Gnus (e.g. Oort 0.17) include spam.el.  It can use
many back-ends, including smap-stat.el (in Oort 0.17 as well), which
will work anywhere.  Here's the link for more information:

  http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?GnusSpam

        - Peter

--
Peter Solodov                    | Concordia University
http://alcor.concordia.ca/~peter | Montreal, QC, Canada

* Re: Looking for spam package
@ 2003-04-16 19:07   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-04-16 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, peter@alcor.concordia.ca wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, Peter Lee wrote:

>> I'm looking for a package that is relatively easy to set up and one
>> that will work on windows.  I mention OS because I'm not sure if
>> some of the packages rely on an external binary.
>
> Recent versions of Gnus (e.g. Oort 0.17) include spam.el.  It can
> use many back-ends, including smap-stat.el (in Oort 0.17 as well),
> which will work anywhere.  Here's the link for more information:
>
>   http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?GnusSpam

I would also recommend

http://lifelogs.com/spam for an overview of spam.el

The Oort Gnus manual for up-to-date documentation of (nearly) all the
aspects of spam.el

spam-stat.el is a particularly good backend for Windows, because it
does not use any system executables.

Ted

* Re: Looking for spam package
@ 2003-04-17  1:23 ` Bob Babcock
From: Bob Babcock @ 2003-04-17  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Lee <pete_lee/remove-for-email/@swbell.net> wrote in

> I'm looking for a spam package for gnus 5.8.8, emacs 21.3 running on
> an XP box.

I've recently been trying out POPFile from http://popfile.sourceforge.net/.
It adds header info (tags like "[spam]")that your email program uses for
filtering.  You configure it through a web browser, and you train it by
telling it which messages it has misclassified.  It can be used with almost
any email program that gets its mail by POP.  My tests use rmail, not guns;
Win/2K, not XP.