all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* aucTeX and Cygwin
@ 2002-10-03 23:57 Chris
From: Chris @ 2002-10-03 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there a way to tell AucTeX to not use the Cygwin bash shell environment
when it launches LaTeX, etc?

After installing Cygwin, the compile command don't work because of path and
quoting issues... and I can't launch PDF files with start file.pdf
either...

* Re: aucTeX and Cygwin
@ 2002-10-04 18:22 ` j.t.
From: j.t. @ 2002-10-04 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris <chrisl_ak@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<Xns929CA24A38BD1chrislak@216.168.3.40>...
> Is there a way to tell AucTeX to not use the Cygwin bash shell environment
> when it launches LaTeX, etc?
>
> After installing Cygwin, the compile command don't work because of path and
> quoting issues... and I can't launch PDF files with start file.pdf
> either...

Some has posted a trick:

(setq TeX-shell "C:/mypath_to_emacs_dir/bin/cmdproxy.exe")

which will tell TeX to use cmdproxy.exe even your "shell" is cygwin
bash. This even works in the cygwin-X11 version of Emacs 21.2.

I do have a questions for people who have tried cygwin-X11 version of
Emacs out there:

Has anyone succeeded in running LaTex-preview with it? I can't even go
pass ./configure because the script considers "cygwin" OS type not
supporting images. When I just set the preview elisp files in loadpath
and load the preview package, it will complain:
"error in process sentinel: LaTeX found no preview images"

Any clue?

Thanks,
j.t.

* Re: aucTeX and Cygwin
@ 2002-10-05  3:15   ` Chris
From: Chris @ 2002-10-05  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

on 04 Oct 2002, j70005t@yahoo.com (j.t.) spake thusly:

>> After installing Cygwin, the compile command don't work because of
>> path and quoting issues... and I can't launch PDF files with start
>> file.pdf either...
>
> Some has posted a trick:
>
> (setq TeX-shell "C:/mypath_to_emacs_dir/bin/cmdproxy.exe")

Ah, perfect-- the best of both worlds. Thanks for the tip...